Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another wasted day----arrgghhhhh!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Aug 29, 2004.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I finally got a new oil pan for the motor I'm putting in my 79 C10--a long story but 100 miles later to go get it,after 3 people told me on the phone and in person that it came with the gasket--no gasket in the box--the guy at the warehouse says "we changed brands a few months ago--they dont come with it anymore--(I thought it was too good to be true,a new oilpan with gasket for 41 bucks)so I told them they suck,after driving that far,so they knocked 10 bucks off the price. Then I get home and go to put it on--after removing the leaky junk oilpan,I notice the pan is full of nylon camshaft gear chunks--and so is the oil pump screen! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif tried taking the top cover off the pump,looks like some of the teeth made it into the pump and are imbedded in the gears,and the cover looks like it might have a crack or wound in it,so that means I need an oil pump and timing chain and gears too(not the end of the world,usually I'd change both anyway,but I was trying to hurry to get this truck going for labor day weekend)--so I go to remove the harmonic balancer,and right away I knew I was in trouble when I saw a 3/4 inch bolt head there instead of a 5/8--some "meknic" evidently boogered the threads in the crank in the past,and tapped it out to 1/2-13 NC thread,and left about 2 threads of the original 7/16 size thread at the bottom of the hole--I doubt if I can use theese new threads to draw the balancer back on,so I might have to wedge something between the motor stand and the crank,and use a BFH to put it back on,and pray the thrust bearings live.I'm beginning to wonder if this motor is worth it--I'll have 400 bucks into it before I even hear it run again--cracked the distributor cap with the hoist chain(another 15 bucks! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif).Maybe I should just give up--everthing I touch turns to crap lately---- /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I feel your pain brother. There have been many many many many many many many days that I have felt like sellin every tool I have and just buyin a brand new new econo box and be done with the whole damn thing. Then I look at what I have built or modified or what have you with my own two hands and I feel better. Just step back take a deep breath drink a beer or a couple and jump back in with both feet. The sense of accomplishment far outweighs frustration gettin there.

Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the kind words. I think I know how you feel about selling everything and buying a econobox(I've been wishing I hadnt sold my diesel Jetta lately)--I would have been able to go a lot of places that I didnt get to go to this year because of my C10's motor crapping out,missed a trip to TN and a lot of good concerts,cant afford to fix it and go to theese places too.Since I am not employed right now,I was hoping I could have spent the summer tooling around the countryside,and spend my life savings before I have to go back to the life of the living dead,that is,working for a living,and my mom is pretty sick with emphasema,probably wont live much longer,so this year would have been my last shot at having a good time. I've been wrenching on GM cars and trucks as a hobby since I was 18,and now I'm 46--I'm still waiting for that feeling of satisfaction you describe.Ya,I did feel proud of myself after my first big block conversion,and swapping in a SM465 in place of a TH350,for a few minites at least,but I'm beginning to wonder if its worth it all.I have tried walking away,and drinking several beers,all that seems to do is make me more frustrated(and very drunk! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif).I might have to sell this truck when its done,I dont really need a 2wd around here in the winter(I usually dont drive it in the salt,since its 90%rust free)and I could use some cash right now--I feel bad about not being a paying member of this site,lord knows I have posted enough here and gotten many good answers to my questions about my diesel K20 in particular--it would still be sitting where it was when I bought it if I hadnt learned how to overide the glow plugs,and many other things on here---.I am getting tired of having vehicles I dont really trust on long trips,having no A/C or cruise control,and having to crawl down the "autobahn"at the legal limit of 65 mph,when everyone else practically runs me over and flips me the bird for delaying them for a few seconds.I feel like I'm the only person around here that owns anything older than a 1990 vehicle--(and the only one who would buy one too /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif).Maybe I need to move out west or down south,maybe I'd fit in better there,things are just moving too quickly around here for my liking lately.My little town has become an "automile",the road in front of mine has 12 new car dealerships,2 more coming they just raped 4 acres of land to build them a 1/4 mile from me,a new Lowe's home center is going in across from wal mart just up the street,traffic is a joke--I'm ready to sell all my vehicles and walk,it would be faster!.I never thought the world would get this crazy so fast--who would have thought the day would come when you cant even buy a decent used chevy motor anymore,because they are extinct--and people on the roads drive like they are in a mad max movie!.
    Well,I have ranted enough I guess--time to buy a timing chain and gears,and an oil pump,(and a 24 pack and a big bottle of southern comfort,in case more things go wrong)and see if I can get this nightmare 305 back together and in the truck--I have several teeth that need to see a dentist real quick after this is done,hope he takes visa,if not I'll have to use vise grips--. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Mi Vida Loca! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif