Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another weird noise post

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Jan 10, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need to know what sounds like a chain dragging down the highway. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the T-case since it's the only thing that hasn't been rebuilt. Could a lack of fluid cause this or a really worn out chain in the T-case? It's a 241.

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

yeah i'd say that a lack of fluid could cause that noise. do you think it ran without fluid for a bit and ruined the chain???

well the reason i'am posting is cause i had this annoying clinging / jingleing , kinda sound... drove me crazy. since the rearend and tranny were good i figured it was the t-case so i bought a np205 rebuild kit and ripped out the thing. only to find that it was in super good shape /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, so i didn't rebuild it and just put it back in... it turned out that the noise was a lame little 1/4 thick piece of an old bracket on my 14ff that was just jingleing in the wind...

moral of the story is i thought my t-case had square bearings when i fact it was a lose piece of metal. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    so maybe you'll luck out and find some hanging steal under there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

3. JakeInAZ

JakeInAZ Registered Member

I agree with Pilgrim. I went through a very similar situation TWICE. The first time I thought it was my tranny (and was even told it probably was) only to pull the tranny and find that it was a slightly bent driveshaft.....then I got a VERY similar sound and it sounded almost like (as you stated in your question) a chain dragging. It turned out to be my exhaust fastener had broken and it was virbrating against my leaf spring shackle. Hell, I even tore my whole hub apart on the front wheel to find an annoying noise only to find out that I had a bad brake shim. Moral of the story...get your butt under the thing and try to move EVERYTHING. if absolutely nothing underneath could possilby be making that noise then I would recommend having it looked out BEFORE you pull the t/c. It's a hell of a lot of work only to find out that you have a much simpler problem.....best of luck either way