Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another welding question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brian85gmc, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Brian85gmc

Brian85gmc Registered Member

Can I weld body panels with an arc welder(18 gauge), or do I need a mig?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I say good luck with the arc welder. The heat ranges generally don't allow you to get low enough where you won't burn through. If you do manage to get a piece of metal to stick to the side of your truck with it, you'll be using a lot of bondo to patch the holes created by the heat of the welder.
    A mig, wire-feed welder is the best option.

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I would definitely use a wire feed.

4. GrimWheeler

GrimWheeler Registered Member

I would have to say... it all depends on how good you are with stick. I've had to weld 16guage down hill with 7018 before.. of course it doesn't turn out all that pretty (definetly not autobody "pretty") but it can be done. I guess it all comes down to how pretty you want it.. I would go with the suggestion of using wire. I used .030 when I did the bed bob on my truck ... if you want it really pretty, make sure to use master mix (nitrogen/co2).

Here is a picture of how it turned out.. after paint.. now remember.. I'm not an "autobody" guy either
    [​IMG]

OH yeah.. almost forgot.. that 3" wide Ford spring swap I've been reading other people taling about.... hehe I did that April of last year on my truck.. gotta love it.. (and my "phat" shackles too) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Brian
    http://i.am/GrimWheeler