Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ANOTHER what would you do? post *updated* more questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Jul 19, 2003.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm planning the next mods for my K5 before I put it back on the road. Money is tight but I've got some choices since I'm not driving the truck right now. Choice #1 is to buy a D60/14B combo (locked 14b, limited slip D60) for $1,400. Choice #2 is rock sliders from 4x4 Iron (or other company) and a soft top. Choice #3 is to keep the truck the way it is... no top, no rocker panels (rust sucks!) and a broken rear 10 bolt. Let's here some suggestions!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Stupid question added: I have some Rough Country 4" springs up front, is it safe to remove 2 of the 4 leaves to lower the front a bit and soften the ride? I figure I'll have to do this if I get the D60 anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: ANOTHER what would you do? post

i would say axles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

id go with the dana 60 14ff then you will be set for axle wise then do the others when you can /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TruckNutzDude

I know there's a ton of posts on this already, but I have really bad luck searching... What's involved in a D60 swap? Just the u-joint and maybe caliper grinding cuz I want to go w/ 15" rims and my 36" swampers /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I have a 10 bolt now so the brake lines should fit from what I understand...

And can anyone tell me about removing leaves from a spring pack? I need to soften up these ROUGH Country springs and lower the front for the D60 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

d60- steering arm is needed and that's it. no new ujoint, uses 1310.

6. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Before you chance bending the front leaves by removing a couple, correct the shackle angle, This is just something to think about, my .02.
    What I mean, is look at the front shackles, if they are like this " \ " angle, the sping is having to force it's way from here \ to here /, this would be the angle that you want to start with. Look at this link, bottom of the page for a better Idea,
    http://www.alaskaoffroad.com/suspension.htm
    It worked good for me.
    Just my .02
    Gorrilla
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif to tooob /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. TruckNutzDude

Got a set of axles today!!! a D44 front w/ 4.88's, new u-joints, stub shafts, seals, ball joints, brakes and a 14Bff, 4.88's, Detroit locker, new seals, bearings, brakes... Pickin it all up on Wed. all for $650 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    This leaves me with enough cash for rock sliders and a soft top... or something else if someone wants to suggest a good mod /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gifOooooooo 4.88's :drool:
    Cool deal congrats/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif