Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another winch question! Behind front bumper?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Oct 12, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Anyone do this, put the winch between the front frame rails and run the fairlead out the stock licence plate location? Hidden? Pics?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You have a rig extreme enough for a winch but no necessity for the protection of a winch bumper?

3. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    You have a rig extreme enough for a winch but no necessity for the protection of a winch bumper?

[/ QUOTE ]

NOPE!
    Thought it might bring the tall front springs down a little and about the most extreme stuff I get into is recovering the folks with my cell phone number /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Besides I like the stock bumpers, thought about having them rechromed soon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

cheaper and easier just to get a zero rate for the back. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Otherwise, you'd need some significant weight in the front. Like a 15,000 electric winch + a high lift.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I put mine between the frame rails but have a home made bumper. I agree with you though, you don't NEED a big ole bullet proof bumper. If your not doing extreme stuff, you don't need an extreme bumper. You shouldn't be hittin much up front if your a fairly skilled driver on fairly easy trail runs. Seems like trucks are going gangsta on us-just want to look tough and bad ass to everyone around them, need and function have taken a back seat /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Here's mine on my 71.
    I've since made a licsense plate frame that flips up when I need to use the winch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a Warn 9000i by the way.

7. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

i have a mount that i am selling that goes behind the bumper and hides your winch. i will pm my #.

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Here is one picture of the 76 I just bought with a hidden winch:'

[​IMG]

9. Desert Rat

Here is the brand of mount:
    [​IMG]

10. Desert Rat

Here is a better one:
    [​IMG]

11. Desert Rat

And again:
    [​IMG]

12. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of mine. [​IMG]
    I am in the process of completing the front tube bumper, but I fabbed up a mount for the winch seperately. That is a RE12000 stuffed in there. It is also mounted in there backwards.
    [​IMG]

13. jjlaughner

I LIKE /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree with you though, you don't NEED a big ole bullet proof bumper. If your not doing extreme stuff, you don't need an extreme bumper. You shouldn't be hittin much up front if your a fairly skilled driver on fairly easy trail runs. Seems like trucks are going gangsta on us-just want to look tough and bad ass to everyone around them, need and function have taken a back seat /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thats what I'm thinkin /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I will admit I like the Warn Enforcer bumpers but come on $680! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif FUNCTIONABILITY !! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Here's a pic of mine. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

NICE! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    cheaper and easier just to get a zero rate for the back. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Otherwise, you'd need some significant weight in the front. Like a 15,000 electric winch + a high lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

I run a full stock rig and with dual batteries coming soon, winch and a little flexing I'm thinking it will come down.

By the way I do have zerorate in the rear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    wheel wells were 36.5 all the way around and had a nice rake to it which made it nice to drive. After the new springs, 4" front and rear BDS springs, ORD HD shackles up front and a zerorate out back... the front is still an inch and a half taller /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    43" on the front wheel wells now and 41.5" on the rear

I still have gears, tires and step bars to buy before the winch and extra battery

17. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I don't know if you know this, but the truck comes with the wheelwells in the rear a little lower..... It's where the wheelwells wear originally cut... Measure from the body line right center the tire to the ground on both front and rear... I bet you come out alot closer! IF you even look at your Avitar, the body line is almost horizontal to the ground... Don't let the wheelwells diseave you, it's an obtical illusion! I messed with that alot when I did my custom lift! Check it out! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know if you know this, but the truck comes with the wheelwells in the rear a little lower..... It's where the wheelwells wear originally cut... Measure from the body line right center the tire to the ground on both front and rear... I bet you come out alot closer! IF you even look at your Avitar, the body line is almost horizontal to the ground... Don't let the wheelwells diseave you, it's an obtical illusion! I messed with that alot when I did my custom lift! Check it out! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I know they different, if the front and rear wheel wells are the same its makes for a nice drive though (IMO). I liked it when mine all where 36.5" got the lights to the ground, had a decent rake sitting still and the would level out on the highway and on takeoff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I agree with you though, you don't NEED a big ole bullet proof bumper. If your not doing extreme stuff, you don't need an extreme bumper. You shouldn't be hittin much up front if your a fairly skilled driver on fairly easy trail runs. Seems like trucks are going gangsta on us-just want to look tough and bad ass to everyone around them, need and function have taken a back seat /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thats what I'm thinkin /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I will admit I like the Warn Enforcer bumpers but come on $680! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif FUNCTIONABILITY !! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing I don't like about most of them winch bumpers is the approach angle gets wasted... I'm tucking mine under there and trying to preserve the approach.

20. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The thing I don't like about most of them winch bumpers is the approach angle gets wasted... I'm tucking mine under there and trying to preserve the approach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!!! Hate those winch bumpers sticking way out in the front. Hack the grill and support, or between the frame rails. It isn't more hardcore if you increase your approach angle /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif