Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another winch question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillR, May 30, 2000.

1. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Sorry guys, but I am a newbie on winches!
    What kind of mount is better for a K5? I was looking at either a reciever mount to work fore and aft, or a KMA Wincher permanant mount. Are there big advantages either way, or just personal preferance?
    Thanks! [​IMG]

Blazin' in Flagstaff

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you use a permanent mount, than it is just that, permanent. If you want to use it in the front or the rear, I would go with the reciever mount unless you are a good fabricator than you could get a permanent mount and make detaching points!

Again, all personal prefference!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett" "Built for function, not for beauty!"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I my self like the fixed mounts. I don't have much use for a removable winch, so I chose a KMA wincher. The only problems I've enountered was the base plate flexes when the whinch is under serious pull. The problem has been identified on this board and the way to fix it has also been discussed. If you do chose to go with a KMA, let us know and we will enlighten you so you can tell kyle at KMA what changes to make to prevent you from having the same problem.

The reasons I went with a fixed winch was: Looks & strength. There is no way that a receiver mount will offer the strength that a fixed winch platform will offer. Plus the "cool" factor is pretty high. You will ALWAYS have your winch for those times you just "happen to find a trail" and what not.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I just of something, if the receiver hitch is rated at 5,000 pounds, than isn't that the limit of the winch?

YEEE HAAWWW[​IMG]