Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another "Worth It" Thread

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by BurbLover, Jul 26, 2005.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Okay, I've got a line on a trailer with the following info:

Specs:
    - About 12 years old. Hasn't been registered since 01.
    - Had new rear axle just prior to being taken off road.
    - 10K equipment trailer. Was used to haul Skid-Steer.
    - Dual 7K axles w/ brakes.
    - Width is 78".
    - Lenght approx 18'
    - Flatbed bumper pull w/ dual ramps.
    - Comes w/ Spare.
    - PO will have company mechanic go through axles/brakes to ensure working.
    - PO will have mechanic ensure all light working via 7-way plug.

Needs:
    - Needs 2 tires
    - Doesn't have battery break-away.
    - Deck might last 1-2 years. Pretty bad wood.

Knowing the above info, is it worth $500?

Also, with the 78", is this wide enough to haul my 90 K5 w/ 1-ton axles & 38's? This is what would be on it almost all the time.

COMMENTS/SUGGESTIONS? Thanks.

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Trailers are weird man. Depends on how it was made, the materials used to build it, the type axles, etc etc. What it's worth depend on alot of things. For example, I just looked at a 24' goose, with 3 7K axles.... Turned out to be homemade with 8" C channel frame- riiiiight :doah:

Take a look at how it's built, the welds, the steel, the crossmembers, the suspension, all of it. Then post some detailed pics, that will help too. In the end, use your best judgement. If it looks "booty", it probably is. Good luck!

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I do know that it was bought from a trailer place outside of Loveland, CO. Looks like 8" C channel. Anyway, definately not a home made one. Big concern was is the 78" widht enough for a K5?

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

big time width issue. will need to go over the fenders if it has them. and arnt are trucks with around that size time in the 72-75 range? man that will be tight.:o

5. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good deal, it would be snapped up real quick around these parts.
    The width of the deck is 78", right? IIRC that is what my trailer measures, and my Blazer does not fit in between the fenders with its 35x12.5's and 4" backspacing.

My $20/20minute solution was to make drive-overs out of railroad ties with the chainsaw.
    Werks fer me. :D

But when I get bigger tires the deck will need to be widened a bit, or different rims used. The front already hangs over each side a bit as it is.

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

My initial though was just tao remove the fenders all together until I could build good drive over ones. So, being 78" is it wide eneough to hold the K5 sadely? I know some would be over on each side, but would it be safe?

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The width is going to be a little bit of an issue, but as long as you can drive over the fenders and possibly widen the deck a little it is well worth $500.

My trailer is only 77" between the fenders and even a stock K5 has to drive over them. But they are 3/16" plate steel so they are durable.

Here is a 1 ton K5 with boggers on my trailer. Got a little scary loading it with the steering box broke off of the frame... But with good steering control it you can center it up fine and load right up.
    [​IMG]

8. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

How wide the tires are and the backspacing on the rims should make all the difference. :D
    If it's not too far over the edge and it is tied down well, it should work fine. But even after having done it several times, I still get paranoid about my truck moving around on the trailer... so if YOU don't feel safe about it, don't do it. :eek1:

But even after widening it you could have a great trailer for well under a thousand bucks... much better than I did. :doah:

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If it's not completely ragged out and looks to be of decent build quality than it probably is worth $500.

A couple things to check on:

- what type of brakes (electric, surge, etc...) - I'm not a big fan of surge brakes but a lot of equipment haulers use them so they don't have to have brake controllers in all of the trucks

- make sure it doesn't use any type of old funky split rims or odd ball sized tires. If it's "only" 12 years old it probably should not be a problem.

- make sure the deck width, and not the overall trailer width, is 78", again assuming it's lowboy style (deck is below the top of the fenders. In any case I doubt you will be able fit the K5 in between the fenders. My K5 was around 86" wide with 10" wide rims (4.25" BS) and 12.50 tires. My trailer has 82" in between the fenders (83" is typically the absolute widest you can find) and it still requires drive-over fenders. A Chevy truck with the skinny stock 6.5" wide rims and stock tires fits fine but theres not a ton of room left on either side.

It shouldn't hurt anything to have a little bit of the tires hang off the deck. If the truck actually slides side to side then you have much bigger problems.....like not having the truck properly secured to the trailer! However with a 78" wide deck it wouldn't be a bad idea because if you got the truck just slightly off center it would put a lot of the tire over the edge.