Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anoyone use a gear drive instead of a timing chain?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Jul 28, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Just wondering how loud they are? A friend of mine has one on his van but with the supercharger and drag racing exhaust you can't tell.
    Would it be good on a daily driver that often makes long runs?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I my opinion, they are not any louder than mud tires on the highway.

3. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

yes I agree they arent any louder than mud tires and you can use them as a daily driver and it wont hurt a thing. I have been thinking of using a belt drive but they are way expensive. Good luck.

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

hey, i am putting a gear drive in White lightning as soon as i get some stuff sold on ebay. im gonna get the pete jackson noisy gear drive. they actually use about 4-5 HP...but in my opinion the sound they make is worth it. plus im already pumpin out 500 ponies so what are 4or 5 to lose /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NITRO

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think I'd get tired of the whine that they make. You can even hear it at idle. Plus, they're really a waste of money if you aren't building a high-zoot racing engine. While they do keep the timing more accurate than a chain will, the difference won't be felt in the seat of your pants. It can help make that last 3 HP that can be important when you race for a living, but a good timing chain set is fine for 99% of the engines out there on the roads. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

As for the timing belt setups, they're another race-only item as far as I'm concerned. Timing chains will typically last 150K miles or so. I've never seen a timing belt last that long, and the ones used for racing are much smaller than those used on OEM overhead cam engines. I don't want to be pulling the waterpump out of the way every time that tiny belt needs to be replaced. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

the guy up the street from me has them...how do I know????
    I think it sounds good buy not sure I'd want to hear it all the time, now if it were in a fast boat of hotrod hell yes... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I had a Pete Jackson noisy type on the motor I just took out and I'll be putting one on my new motor, I love them! I got mine specifically for the sound, not accuracy. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

The gear drive is loud but not so much that it's annoying. My truck was not quiet (3" Flowmasters, TSL's) but I didn't notice it sitting inside the truck, that might be different with quieter exhaust though.

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

John , you can't really hear it because all you can hear from your truck at idle is "bumb ta dee bump" and "boog a dee boog a dee" . High compression,large exhaust,and big lift roller camshafts tend to drown out the P/J at idle and no one can hear anything but motor when you going down the road.
    Just as a note: Crane makes a very strong and durrable true roller T/C set up that is very nice.
    If you want a gear drive and don't want an idler gear set up you could always do like the older "marine" set up and use a reverse cam grind and distributor - that way the noise is at a minimum and it would be very strong and accurate but it would be exspensive!
    With all that said , my opinion is that unless you are racing, a gear drive or timing belt system is not needed - a good roller set up will last a long time .
    JMHO , Tom

9. nvrenuf

Huh?! What did you say?! I couldn't hear you! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i aint gettin it for the accuracy...pretty much just for the noise. i love the way they sound...

NITRO

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I hate gear drives myself. The accuracy is nice but I hate the noise. A kid at my school had an 84 K5 on 33s it was a lot nicer condition than my 84 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif(hes a really big book worm I mean like that kid who walks around with 30 books on him at any given time so it was kind of insulting). I hated it though. I always think people want you to think they have a charger. I would run one if it were fairly quiet and on a race application where you wouldn't have a chance of hearing it. I don't like hearing anything under the hood, just the exhaust noise.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

weird
    I heard on from a few hundred feet at idle in a camaro
    I assumed it was a noisy PJ and pretty much decided I would never use that
    very different from your account
    the standard PJ is very quiet, you hear it on decel in a 4 speed, sounds sweet

13. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I have a noisy PJ gear drive in my 388. I got tired of replacing timing chains so I opted for one. I enjoy the sound except when I am trying to do something like setting the valve lash when the engine is running. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jjlaughner

varied opinions! I was just curious what everyone thought.
    I got a pop/snapping sound coming off of a hi-RPM shift, I doubt its the time chain but if I get my plow truck running the DD's motor is getting pulled and rebuilt this winter. Thought the gear drive might be option. I kind of like the sound but it may be more of a hassle down the road trouble shooting other things.

15. nvrenuf

Isn't your truck TBI? Would the gear drive create too much harmonics for the knock sensor? Just curious. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

OK, I've only heard the "noisey" ones which are just that, noisey. It's a healthy whine that you can hear at idle even with glass collector mufflers and a cam with enough overlap to...

I think that's a bit excessive but I think it'd be cool to have.

Anybody try the "quiet" ones? I think I've heard one before but it also had an early Vortech on it with a lot of belt noise.

I don't mind it too much if I can hear it in the cab but I don't want something that is going to be louder than my exhaust.

A good double roller timing chain costs $50 and it'd be cool to have a gear drive for $120. It'd be cool to have a little bling, you know? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. nvrenuf

Go to the Indy jamboree in September, a gear drive is standard equipment there. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Plenty of people running gear drives on FI motors without problems. Knock sensors are "tuned" to each particular engine, so it's pretty unlikely they would somehow match the knocking associated with the engine size in question.

19. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I couldnt stand my pete jackson gear drive (noisey) absolutly drove me nuts. I havnt been able to give it away to anyone it town! If someone wants it , just pay shipping its yours. (sbc)

20. jjlaughner

ok, it probley wont fit mine, anyone else need one