Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ant-wrap bar out of heavy guage square tube?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, May 10, 2005.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Round tubing is pretty expensive here and I can get some square easy. I am thinking about using some 2"x1/4" thick square tube, I doubt it would bend but just wanted to get others opinions before I do it. I am planning on using the ORD mount and bushings at the axle end and then at the t-case end using a shackle set up with a Johnny joint.
    -Chris

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm pretty sure it's been done before and I couldn't see any reason why not. You're loading the bar in a predictable way so you can position the tube to accomodate for it. Try a search and see if anything comes up. I think there was a thread dedicated to anti-wrap pics but I could be mistaken.

3. 85mudblazin

I have searched and either they are the old pics so they wont show or they are the normal round tube ant-wrap bars. I guess ill try and it if bends all well, its not like its a linked suspension or anything.

4. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

I only spent $30-$40 on tubing when I built mine. Around here I have been paying around $3 a foot for 1.75"x .120 dom that I used to do my roll bar last weekend. I don't know what your price range is, but the tube would look better and be stronger.

s 576.jpg

s 575.jpg

s 577.jpg

5. 85mudblazin

I think .120 DOM would bend if it was pushed against a rock, no?

6. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

It will tweak a little with a direct hit, but you can brace it more or step up the guage of tube. If I was a hardcore rock guy, I would have gone with a heavier guage. I tried to mount it high and out of the way as much as possible, that is why I have the straight bar on the bottom unlike most aftermarket traction bars. You could also do an over the driveshaft design like MOO's if that is a concern.

7. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Your square will work just fine. ;) Its just a little harder to get rod end type joints in them. But if your using bushings or JJ's then it would work great.

8. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

The square tube will be stronger if you compare the same outside diameters and the same thickness. So 2"x.250 Square is stronger then 2"x .25 round. There is more material in the square tube.

I used 2"x.25 wall on my traction bars with the Mog axles and have not had a problem. Not sure it you can get more leverage then that. Maybe some 8 inch blocks.

I ended up using 3 of ORD's bushing kits and using a shackle at the frame end. It doesnt seem to limit travel to much. I can still get 48" under the tire.

MOGGED3.JPG

9. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

another

MOGGED.JPG

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

2"x 1/4 square is very beefy in this application. Square is way stronger than round for this type of use because of the vertical section height in the plane that it will be loaded. 3/16 wall in the square would be plenty.

Round is nice because it's more efficient for the weight and is more efficient for loading in unknown directions. And it's nice for mating to other round parts and looks more cool. But, if you want to make something strong, figure out which way it will be loaded and put a vertical sheet in that direction.

11. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Holy Cow ses! I hope we can do as nice a job on our production version!

12. 85mudblazin

I figured it would be plenty strong since the force is only going up and down and not side to side.
    I do alot of rocks here and have to bump my way up some obstacles so I need the strength over the round tube in that area.
    Yea 1/4" may be overkill but I am going to buy a stick of it to make a front driveshaft and a crossmember so who doesnt need a little over kill here and there :D
    Im sure it is going to weigh a ton to :grin:

Ill be ordering that bushing kit soon though Stephen, thanks for yalls help :cool1:

13. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Wow!

Holy cow!, I hate to step on this thread but that truck with Mogs is cool.