Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antbody know anything about VCRs????Tracking question....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Jan 29, 2004.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Some how my player got broken during the move so I took it apart and discoverd a broken gear that engages the tape to the head, so being the master of cheese wizery that I am, I did what I always do....Glue it back together, after 4 hours of tearing into this thing 4 different times to arange all three interacting gears back together in the perfect order, I fix that problem.Now the tape loads correctly but is not tracking right.The VCR is a sony 4 head w/ auto and manual tracking, so any ideas???
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

...whats a VCR?....

3. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

VCR? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Is that like one of them old fashion tivo like things? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I gotta idea. They cost about 29.95 at best buy. Go getcha new one.

Or step into the 21st century with a DVD player dood! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

1st unplug VCR.
    2nd place VCR under truck.
    3rd Drive over VCR on way to Wal-Mart.
    4th Buy new VCR/DVD Combo /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    5th Come home put old VCR pieces in new box and dump in trash
    6th Hook up new DVD/VCR.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I rented a VHS a week or two ago. It was Pulp Fiction, I had never seen it and Blockbuster didn't have the DVD so I said ok fine. Man was that horrible(liked the movie) but yeah no more VHS tapes for me.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I gotta DVD player you nimrods, it's for our old tapes before DVD's and for home movies and other stuff you can't get on DVD...Gee, I wonder why I always get these kind of responses.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifFawkers...

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1st unplug VCR.
    2nd place VCR under truck.
    3rd Drive over VCR on way to Wal-Mart.
    4th Buy new VCR/DVD Combo /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    5th Come home put old VCR pieces in new box and dump in trash
    6th Hook up new DVD/VCR.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I saw a really nice looking DVD/VCR/TV in Sharper Image today. Was only $400, 20" screen I think, flat screen(not panel). Had me drooling. need to find one like that locally.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    I saw a really nice looking DVD/VCR/TV in Sharper Image today. Was only $400, 20" screen I think, flat screen(not panel). Had me drooling. need to find one like that locally.

[/ QUOTE ] I think I'll stick w/ my 61" big screen Hitachi, Bose surround sound speakers, Onkyo amp and Sony DVD player, wish my VCR player worked though.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Sorry Fume's, I can't even get the damn clock to stop flashing. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I hear ya, it's just a frustrating day today, first I tried to fix my wifes {get this} record player and they don't make the drive motor for it anymore ,even though it's only 5 years old{BTW, thanks fumes Jr. for playing the [darn] chipmunks version of whatever record was on it at the time /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif} so I had to chuck that, then step idiot wants me to re solder his speaker for his headphones, so I do and then he breaks the other speaker beyond repair, they were the next to hit the trash pile...Then on to the VCR, which obviously was put together by the same fawks that shrunk themseves down to miniature so they could swim around inside some asshat so they could save his life in whatever lame 70's scifi pic that was{*cough*incredible journey*cough*}only to eject them selves via the tape holder and then re-grow to fullfawkin size because I gotts to tell you thats the only way those things can be worked on, screw GM engineers thos guy's couldn't hold a candle to the clusterfawk that lies with in the confines of a 17"X14" metal box...Ahhhh,I feel much better now..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Have you tried cleaning the head and the rubber rollers that guide the tape? Just use cotton swabs and rubbing alchohol and clean them off real well and see if that helps.

13. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Cleaning helps quality of the picture and the speed at which the tape runs, but won't do anyting for tracking. Tracking problems are hard to repair anymore because most VCRs and for that matter most all electronic equipment for home use are built to be disposable. In other words, they don't build them to be fixed. Only thrown away. Go buy a cheapy. $99 will get you a pretty good one.