Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antenae Mount

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by k20, Oct 25, 2002.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok guys, probably gonna ask for a cb and antenae and such for christmas, anyway, im lookin at runnin a 102" SS whip on my rear bumper. Well with my bumper at waist height already, its gonna slap power lines. What kinda mount do i run so it wont shock the crap outta the truck or cb whenever i hit one? My friend had one on his jeep for a few days on a non grounded mount but the mount got really screwed up cause it couldnt handle the weight. What do you guys run your 102's on?

2. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Ahh, the good ol' lightning rods. My brother used to run two of them. One of either side of his tool box on the back of his K20 camper special. It doesn't have a lift, but is running 33's. He never had a problem. Regulations on power line height could be different in AZ though.

I would personally recommend you look into a K40 antenae. You can get the base mounted directly to the roof of the cab, or just go with the magnetic mount. I had a Magna mount K40 with a 4ft whip and it was great. The antenae is tunable so you can adjust your SWR's without toning down the CB performance.

Probably the most important thing is to make sure you don't go cheap on the CB. A good antenae will not do you any good if the CB is junk. I would look at a Cobra. Any series 25 or higher would be just fine. Then find a CB shop that will clean and service /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif it for you.

At that point it will not matter if you use the 19.95 Radio Shack special for an antenae. You can talk for miles. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Just my experiences.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I run a 102" Stainless Steel whip antenna mounted to my light bar. I wack power lines all the time with no problem. My antenna does have a heavy duty (Pot belly) spring, so it does lay back while going down the road. For a radio, I would recomened a Texas Ranger for a regular CB, or if you want something with more channels, then Galaxy, or the high end Texas Ranger. K-40 is also a good antenna. I've got a friend that runs a CB shop and deals in both Texas Ranger, and K-40. You can check out his site at http://bigfoot8170.tripod.com/ It's worth looking at. I think a good antennais a must !!! A big radio still won't preform well if you have a crappy antenna. Check out this radio: ]http://www.rangerusa.com/tr-696f.html] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

At that point it will not matter if you use the 19.95 Radio Shack special for an antenae. You can talk for miles

[/ QUOTE ] Nope, the antenna is very importent. You need a good antenna to get out and hear the weaker signals. A radio won't preform worth a crap with a shitty antenna !!!!!!!

5. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

For the most part I agree. But it makes more sense to invest in the good radio first and settle for a lesser antenae first, then work up to a better antenae as cash flow permits.

I have never heard of Ranger CB's. I bought Cobra 7 years ago and it still works great. Although I do need to get me a K40.

Then I can talk to you Z3PR on clear nights.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That'd be kewl. I go by "Lost Coz" on the radio, "866" when shooting skip. I posted a link for a pic of my base station in the ( Who all has a base station. ) tread here in this forum.