Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antenna Coax Cable (Spliceable?)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by BowtieBlazer, Apr 27, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Is an antenna cable or wire whichever you prefer just like any other wire so that you can just splice right into it? I need to leangthen the antenna cable on a project I am working on. I don't just want to cut the cable and find out I can't make it work. Thanks!

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

They sell an extension cable for what you are wanting to do... has a female connection on one end and a male connection on the other... Hope that helps..

3. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing I ended up buying extension wires like mentioned above. I don’t know all about the but when I bought the extra wire it said that it was not possible to cut the wire and have it work correctly? I don’t know how much to belive in that but that’s what was on the package. They have spliter devices and switching devices as well. I ended up using my one antenna line to run my radio, CB, and pager system for the truck.

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

yeah I talked to a buddy its possible just difficult to splice into an antenna. Its just like cable coax. I'll go search radio shack tomorrow for some extension cable.

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Try a car audio shop they should have them for sure. We sell them for less then 5bucks on a 20 foot extension and around 1.50 for a 12 inch one.

You can splice the cable yet I do not suggest it. There is one single pole center wire with a plastic shield; over that is usually a braided ground sheath and then the outer jacket. So you are right by saying it looks like TV cable. The extension will not hurt you any compared to a splice so go for the entensions and save yourself the heartache ;-)