Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

antenna for GPS?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Marshall, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

I have a Garmin etrex and i was wondering if i could get an antenna and mount the gps so i can use it in my truck? If anyone knows this is possible please let me know how to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

They don't have an antenna jack so the only way to add an external antenna is to hack the case and force one on it.

Your best bet to be able to use it in the vehicle is to get one of those mounts that will stick to the widshield and hopefully have a good enough view of the satallites to work.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My Garmin Street Pilot mounts on the dash and there is a difference. On the dash its accuracy is like 18 feet. If I hold it out the window, it goes down to 3 feet. I dont think it has an external antenna hookup either.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My Magellan 315 typically has a strong lock on 7 or 8 satellites while mounted to the windshield in my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I think that'll give me enough accuracy for my needs. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

My Garmin Rino 120 gets a strong lock from 8-9 satellites inside my truck with a windshield mount. Your unit is similar to mine in that it has no hookup for an external antenna. Also, the eTrex antenna is built in to the unit, whereas the Rino is a quad-helix. I would see how it operates inside the vehicle in the windshield area. If it retains lock, a windshield mount will work just fine.

The GPS Store has a wide variety of Garmin GPS accessories at a lower cost than factory direct. A listing of these is here.

Hope that helps!

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif