Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

antenna help

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by wraenking, Apr 3, 2005.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok, im going to get my cb next and was thinking of this one. tell me if i it it is not needed to have such a fancy one, and ill get a lower priced ones. you guys know more than i do.

http://www.artfires.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=102

question on the antenna. i would like to get a through window antenna. are these any good? suggestions on one? also, what is involde in mounting one

thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

First of all, a radio is only as good as it's antenna. Those through the glass arn't worth anything if you ask me. If you have the room, nothing out preforms the 102" Stainless Steel whip. But they are big. I also recomend the K40 and Wilson 5000. Both are very good antennas. For the radio it self, Texas Ranger makes a nice basic CB. http://www.rangerusa.com/cb.html Or you can step up to a 10 meter export radio converted for 11 meter. (Not the most legal thing, but no big deal) I run a President Lincoln [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I run it in the vehicles as well as in my house.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

That Midland is a very nice radio. I will probably buy one for my next radio because of all the features, good quality, and compact size. If all you need to do is talk to people close to you or on the trail you could get a Uniden Pro 510XL. They are dependable, talk good, and are also compact.

I would never use a "through the glass" antenna. My favorite is the 102" whip because it performs great, is indestructible, and looks cool. If you don't want a 102" long antenna you could always buy a magnet mount and only put it up when you need it. Wilson makes a "Little Wil" mag mount that is affordable and works well.

Little Wil

Uniden Pro 510XL

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I never have been a fan of the Midland radios. Don't know why, never had any bad experences with them, just don't care for them.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just thinking, if you're looking too save a few bucks, Lew sells both used and new radio equipment.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm using that Midland and a wilson 5000 mounted on the roof in the middle of the rack. It's a tree catcher, but works great. The radio has about a million features that i have not really learned to use, but it is very clear and strong. The antenna is, IMO, second to none.

7. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

cool. thnkas guys. with the wedding coming up i might have to get a lower priced model. swap meet is coming, so i might wait to get one there.

thanks again