Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antenna...I don't have one but would like one

Discussion in 'Audio' started by AJMBLAZER, Nov 1, 2006.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

My CUCV obviously came with no antenna or stereo system. I've gotten some advice from here and elsewhere about putting the head unit and speakers in and wiring them up but what about the antenna?

What are my options and what have you guys done?

I listen to a lot of AM and FM radio so I really would like a good reception. I live in the boonies a bit and find that radio reception can be problematic up here even with properly working OEM stereo systems. The work trucks I drive frequently drive me nuts when they can't pickup the local 50,000 watt AM station past the city limits while my own vehicles can get it almost 2 hours away.:crazy:

2. AJMBLAZER

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I was thinking something like this. Shouldn't be hard to find a place too mount it.

4. AJMBLAZER

Hrmmm...is that ment for an outside or inside mount?:confused:

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's just a replacement for your standard fender mounted antenna. Yeah, you’ll have too drill a hole and mount it inside the fender. I've always liked the power antenna because it's retractable. Just think you’d get better reception with something like that power antenna verses a inside the cab antenna.

6. AJMBLAZER

Something to consider. How hard is it to get to the portion of the fender where the antenna should be?

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Not that hard. If I remember correctly, all you need too do is pull out the inner fender well. Worse come too worse, take off the render.

8. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I've used a hideaway powered antenna like that in our boat, and it works well. Not sure what all the metal in a truck woudl do to its reception though.....

9. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

you could always get a new windshield with an antenna built in.. Ive always liked that setup, good reception, nothing mounted to the fender, and it would be very easy to wire.. Plus, you'll have a new windshield which is NICE.. The last windshield I got wasnt very expensive, installed with lifetime leakage warranty....

some trucks in the '70s had antennas mounted on the fender... i think LMC sells them.. i dont know if theyre a reproduction, or what.. But I have an original in my storage unit, somewhere.. they're cool too.. the base is molded to the shape of the fender, they look nice

mike

10. AJMBLAZER

This thing's got a brand new windshield that's in excellent condition. The windshield antenna is not an option right now.