Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

antenna info please.

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by mofugly13, Nov 25, 2005.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Oct 6, 2002
    When I told my dad of my plan to put a cb in the K5 and a base station at my hunting cabin, he came over and unloaded some of his old stuff on me. I have a 102" stainless whip that I was gonna use, but when I went to unscrew it from the pot belly spring it's been screwed to for the last 20 years, the threaded stud at the bottom of the whip broke off. Anyway, he gave me a few other small center loaded antennas abut 24" long, and a stainless whip that's about 36" long. The antennas he gave me came with 'mini' pot belly springs on them. I also got a magnetic mount. Well, I hooked up the mag mount, and started trying the different antennas. I was able to get good swr on one of the center loaded antennas, but the collet that grips the adjustable part is broke, and it won't stay in adjustment. I'd really like to use the short stainless whip with one of the mini pot belly springs on it, but I cannot get anywhere close to good swr with it. Is this whip a CB antenna, or could it be for something else? It only has about 3/4" of adjustability.

I guess what my question reallly is, is: Is there a short SS whip fo CB's or does this belong on something else?
  2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mar 30, 2002
    I really like the 102" SS whip on a truck. Nothing out preforms the 102" SS whip. I would use a ball mount on the side of the body right above the right rear wheel. A heavy duty (Pot belly) spring. And ofcorse a 102" SS whip. All that can be bought cheap through H&Y Electronics Ball mount Spring + the 102" Stainless Steel whip.