Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antenna location - roof rack interferance?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by cbbr, Nov 18, 2004.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am seting up my antenna (Wilson 5000) on the center of my Burb's roof. Problem is that I am also soon to mount the roof rack that I have fabricated - 120" X 50" X 7" deep - made out of mild steel square tube (1/2" & 1/4").

So here's the question - If I mount the antenna in the middie of the roof, to the roof, inside the rack, will it cause interferance of swr problems?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mount it to the roof rack. Get it as high as possible.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What about the need for a ground plane? I really am new to all of this, but am told that the roof will act as a ground plane which is necessary.

I have considered mounting it to a steel plate on top of a spare (the rack will hold two) and simply running the cable through the roof. Any suggestions?

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What about the need for a ground plane? I really am new to all of this, but am told that the roof will act as a ground plane which is necessary.

I have considered mounting it to a steel plate on top of a spare (the rack will hold two) and simply running the cable through the roof. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ] All I can say is try different locations on the roof rack, check the SWR's. Every vichile is different, but normally the center of the roof is best. The roof will act as a ground plain regaurdless if the antenna is mounted a directly to the roof or a foot above it. A good solid ground is the key in my opinion.