Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antenna Mounting Help

Discussion in 'Audio' started by rev, Feb 4, 2005.

1. rev

rev Guest

Hi. I have an 86 M1009 CUCV Blazer. As is typical for the army trucks, it was not set up with any audio amenities. I've mounted a Pioneer head unit and have Rockford Fosgate 6x9's in boxes mounted on the wheel wells in back. It sounds pretty dang good...especially with the throaty diesel roaring in the background.

Now I want to install an antenna. I have a little rubber antenna for mounting on the fender. I've picked out a spot that looks good...but wanted to know if anyone had advice about routing the cable through to the passenger compartment (where to drill? is there already a hole I can use?)...and other helpful advice about where and how to mount the thing.

Thanks in advance.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I can get pics of what i did on my beater K5. I drilled a hole in the pillar behind the seat, where the top mounts. I got a clearance radioshack antenna for $6 and screwed it in with sef tappers. The cord is hidden behind the molding for the pillar. I snaked it down under the carpet and up to the dash. Wroks great, low profile

3. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

here are 3 options. But before that you should throw away the rubber antenna. They have poor reception. You can by the correct antenna for the truck aftermarket that comes with a templete to mark and drill the hole. Or you can get a 30 in mast universal antenna and tie it up under the dash horizontially, but remember to ground the base. And last you can replace the winshield with the stock built in antenna. As for running the wire you can go through the fender and drill a hole in the firewall with grommet into the interior. Good luck.

4. rev

rev Guest

Antenna Pics

Say, Resurrection Joe, I'd like to take a look at those pictures...the idea sounds cool. :cool1:

Thanks.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Ok, just remind me constantly or I wont do it

Ill try and rember to get it up tonight (tee hee)

6. louied

louied Registered Member

after an accident , i replaced the fender with out a spot for the antenna , and after being in the 12volt buisness for 10 yrs now and a user of one my self ,
    A hidden powered am.fm booster.
    works well . check out http://www.metraonline.com/ for one

good luck..