Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

antenna mounting options on a suburban???

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by muddysub, Oct 28, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well i don't have a light bar to mount it to and i have barn doors so the rear bumper is a no go and i don't wanna put it on the front bumper or mirrors. where could i mount an antenna?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Look at my webshots, you will see where mine is mounted.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I've seen quite a few folks mount it to the hinges on the barn doors. Depending on the antenna you are using you could also get a mount that screws into the front fender between the fender and hood.

Or..... just drill a hole right in the middle of the roof. You can also get a magnetic mount and stick it anywhere you like.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

WOW that is one hell of a magnet. I have a magnet mounted antena (about 30" long) but its magnet is only a tiny little doughnut. I ran the wire in through my door and it works fine. The thing about those magnet mounted antenas though, all my friends have em and if you hit a bump hard on the trail, the antena will come off. If you hit low hanging tree branches, the antena will come off. If you go through a drive through, the antena will hit the roof and break exposed flourescent lights. But they are cheap and work well...

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I have been banned for life from a local drive-in restaurant becuase of my antenna. Knocked a bunch of florescent lights down onto my roof /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Hear I thought I was the only one that had been banned from a place for doing that.

It's nice to know I'm not alone

8. muddysub

my dad used to have a 76 chevy K20 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif with a 6" and 36"s and he had a 102" whip on the light bar in the bed. one time in a little town on his way back to vegas he went into a gas station and took out every light they had in the shade structure, didn't stop or anything just kept drivin. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif...well i say right on the top of the roof with a magnet! that makes me wonder though what you said haha..my dad has a 79 3/4..not lifted though..and he has a really tall antenna im not sure if its a 102 but its way tall...i cant wait to see how it goes! ahha..

10. muddysub

i'm gonna mount it on the body panel between the hood and the windshield on the driver's side. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif