Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antenna placement

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by GOK5, Sep 19, 2002.

1. GOK5

GOK5 Registered Member

Does anyone know if you can mount a cb antenna on your fiberglass top and place a ground to a separate location or does it have to be attached to metal (i.e. cab roof)? a newbie 2 cb

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

To get best reception performance, you would have a nice big ground plane. What that means is, you would have the antenna mounted in a nice flat piece of metal, grounded to your truck body. Mounting it in you fibergalss top would work, you would just not be able to receive weak siganls.
    If your just looking for trail talking and freeway traffic reports I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to talk a lot farther and recieve it, then I would mount it in your cab.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't know how it's work, but I have seen metal luggage baskets mounted on top of a Blazer's fiberglass top. You could mount an antenna to one of those. Like I said, I don't know how will it would preform though.

4. GOK5

GOK5 Registered Member

Thanx for the info guys. Now off to do some drilling.

5. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

It will work if you add ground radials of some sort. Just remember the antenna needs a good RF ground. It isn't the same as a simple electrical ground.

I've seen some fairly thick "foil" tape at hardware stores that would probably work pretty well. That would make for the cleanest looking install. You could also simply use wires.

If you get ahold of the metal tape you could either make a star like pattern or cover the whole roof with it and then run several ends down to the bolts where the top bolts to the body.

I've done similar setups with fiberglass topped van/campers before. With enough grounding tape/wire it will perform quite well. Just make sure your mount is reinforced enough so you don't crack the top when the antenna meets high winds or trees/drivethru's etc.

6. GOK5

GOK5 Registered Member

Thanx reb...

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You can also get a "no ground plane" antenna. They are made for fiberglass bodied rigs and such…