Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antenna Preference

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by DPI, Oct 16, 2003.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I just bought a NEW COBRA 19DXIII CB off of EBAY and got a real deal on it.
    My question is - What kind of antenna are you all running and what are the pros and cons?
    This is strictly going to be for trail use.
    Oh - and I want something kind of small cause I do alot of driving through trees and the such so I don't want anything that will get ripped off - LIKE A 102" whip is out of the question.

Oh, here's a pic of the rig. What's the best place to mount it without drilling the body?

[​IMG]

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Man that is one sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet looking truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Think K40 magnet mount on the cab. You can always pull it off in the heavy tree areas. K40 [​IMG]

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks - Three years of work and counting! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Looks like the magnetic mount is about the best idea for my use! Thanks for the response!

dp

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

What's your ties size/lift combo?

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Tires: 13/38-16 TSLs on 16x10 MT Classic IIs

Lift:
    Front - 5.5" BDS springs on a Dana 60 - Approximately 7" of lift.
    Rear - 4" BDS springs, 4" ORD shackle flip, 1" relocating block to move axle back 1.5". Total lift 9"
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

ive got twin firestik2's and I love them

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Wilson 1000 mag mount. Put it on the roof of the rig. It's a little tall, but I NEVER knocked mine off. That includes a small mistake at Sonic /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The magnet is VERY strong and the ant talks like you would NOT believe. I'm wishing I still had mine, but I know it's got a good home now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Plenty of coax makes it easy to route by pulling the top back just a little and putting it between the top and the cab.

The Ant. itself unscrews from the mag base and it comes with a nice little weather tight cap the goes up there if you need to get in a garage (or sonic /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif )
    [​IMG]

10. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's a little tall, but I NEVER knocked mine off. That includes a small mistake at Sonic The magnet is VERY strong

[/ QUOTE ]

You are luckier than me then. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have a mag mount 1000 and I love it but I've knocked that poor antenna off while offroad so many times that the magnet and lower plastic shell that covers the magnet broke into several pieces. I have since replaced the magnet portion and have been more careful to remember to relocate the antenna to the hood or in the back if the roof is off.

I have to give credit to wilson though... The main part of the antenna is still going strong after about 9-10 years of abuse. It's simply the best all around antenna I've used. It performs better than most "shortened 1/4 whips" and is easier to deal with than a full length 102" whip.

[ QUOTE ]
    Plenty of coax makes it easy to route by pulling the top back just a little and putting it between the top and the cab.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the best idea. The way the top mounts to the cab, to prevent leaks, wreaks havoc on coax. It can easily pinch the coax enough to either break it or cause a short. Don't ask me how I know that last part. Let's just say radio output transistors don't like cut and/or shorted coax.
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif