Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

antenna pros, cons. what would you do?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by mr_fujisawa, Jan 8, 2004.

1. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

ok, so i just got a cb and i am going to need to get an antenna for it now. i searched around a bit and saw some people's preferences. it looks like the K40 and the 102" whip are pretty common and well liked.

so here's your chance to school a noob. what are the pros and cons of these antennae?

i have no qualms about mounting to the sheet metal of the truck or anything so that's not really an issue. i want to know what works best performance wise. this is for an '88 k5 blazer that i also a daily driver. i kind of like that look of the 102" whip all pulled back and attached to the body so it looks like a big arc. but i seem to recall reading somewhere that mounting like that impedes transmission and reception.

oh yeah, and i live in the city so theft would also be a concern, but not a major one. . .can't imagine there's a hot market for stolen cb anntenae here. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

all your help is appreciated and thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

sean

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's very hard to beat the 102" Stainless Steel antenna for performance. Most people don't like the size of them, and they do wack alot of things, but for performance, it very hard to beat. Keep in mind, if you unwind one of those shorter antennas, you'll end up with 102" of wire. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

For best performance it the 102" whip is about as good as it gets, assuming you mount it in the middle of the truck and don't obscure any of it with sheet metal.

The biggest con of the full length whip is that it will hit a whole lot more than a shorter antenna so it makes finding a mounting location harder. If you mount the full length whip then you end up losing the performance gains.

It's really up to where you want to mount it and how much you are willing to put up with hitting driving down the road etc.

I've run a Wilson 1000 mounted to the center of the roof for years. It's the trade off I chose. The Wilson 1000 stands at about 54" and still hits most drive-thru's and low tree branches in neighborhoods. I've talked plenty far with my setup so I don't have any complaints. Personally I don't like the K40's that much because they can't handle extra power like the Wilson's and 102" whips.

4. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I like twin firestiks

5. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

ok, so i am leaning towards the 102" whip. but here is another question. . .
    what is the best way to mount it? front of vehicle? rear of vehicle? to the bumper? to the body? is it possible to arc the antenna from the mounting point back to the body so that i don't have clearance issues? or is that just goin to negate the effect of having a 102" in the first place? is there a way to easily keep it arced for clearance and then if needed let it be lose later?

if i were to go with one of those smaller antenna where is the best place to mount one of those?

thanks for all the help, guys.

sean /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

From my new and still uneducated knowledge I'm pretty sure that arcing the 102" whip defeats the purpose. The longer the antenna the more you will pick up within the 10 meter band. But you have to decide how tall is too tall for you.

The best spot to mount the antenna is on a horizontal flat surface. Such as the center of your roof.

Just my 2 cents from what I understand thus far.

ML
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How about the wilson 5000 trucker, how good is that antenna? Where would be a good place to mount it on a K5?

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, so i just got a cb and i am going to need to get an antenna for it now. i searched around a bit and saw some people's preferences. it looks like the K40 and the 102" whip are pretty common and well liked.

so here's your chance to school a noob. what are the pros and cons of these antennae?

i have no qualms about mounting to the sheet metal of the truck or anything so that's not really an issue. i want to know what works best performance wise. this is for an '88 k5 blazer that i also a daily driver. i kind of like that look of the 102" whip all pulled back and attached to the body so it looks like a big arc. but i seem to recall reading somewhere that mounting like that impedes transmission and reception.

oh yeah, and i live in the city so theft would also be a concern, but not a major one. . .can't imagine there's a hot market for stolen cb anntenae here. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

all your help is appreciated and thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

sean

[/ QUOTE ]

A 102" whip is the best way to go. Arching your 102" from back to front may be cool, but you will have more problems with receiving/transmitting then it is worth. There may be some debate on this, but I'm not having it, talking from experience.

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Keep in mind, if you unwind one of those shorter antennas, you'll end up with 102" of wire. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong wrong wrong. That is the idea of the coil, but not the case.

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For best performance it the 102" whip is about as good as it gets, assuming you mount it in the middle of the truck and don't obscure any of it with sheet metal.

The biggest con of the full length whip is that it will hit a whole lot more than a shorter antenna so it makes finding a mounting location harder. If you mount the full length whip then you end up losing the performance gains.

It's really up to where you want to mount it and how much you are willing to put up with hitting driving down the road etc.

I've run a Wilson 1000 mounted to the center of the roof for years. It's the trade off I chose. The Wilson 1000 stands at about 54" and still hits most drive-thru's and low tree branches in neighborhoods. I've talked plenty far with my setup so I don't have any complaints. Personally I don't like the K40's that much because they can't handle extra power like the Wilson's and 102" whips.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thats good and practical advice.

11. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, so i am leaning towards the 102" whip. but here is another question. . .
    what is the best way to mount it? front of vehicle? rear of vehicle? to the bumper? to the body? is it possible to arc the antenna from the mounting point back to the body so that i don't have clearance issues? or is that just goin to negate the effect of having a 102" in the first place? is there a way to easily keep it arced for clearance and then if needed let it be lose later?

if i were to go with one of those smaller antenna where is the best place to mount one of those?

thanks for all the help, guys.

sean /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The best place = whatever is the most convenient for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How about the wilson 5000 trucker, how good is that antenna? Where would be a good place to mount it on a K5?

[/ QUOTE ]

A great antenna. Best place in the center of your roof assuming its a K5.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Keep in mind, if you unwind one of those shorter antennas, you'll end up with 102" of wire. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Have you unwound any ??? I have, and most come to 102". I'm talking about antennas like the firestick, wilson, ...ect. Peal off the plastic coating and you'll find the wire I'm talking about.

14. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the others said.... the trucker series is a good antenna and the best place for any antenna is the center of the roof. It might now always be the most practical but that is where any antenna will have the best performance. Any other location you are making a trade off between cosmetics and performance.

Another option that I used to use is mount a large ball type mount in the center of the roof and depending on your needs swap from the 102" whip to a shorter whip.

15. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Have you unwound any ??? I have, and most come to 102". I'm talking about antennas like the firestick, wilson, ...ect. Peal off the plastic coating and you'll find the wire I'm talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]
    Here is a wilson5000, the biggest wilson has to offer. 102"?

16. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm pretty sure that arcing the 102" whip defeats the purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not exactly. Most of the radiation is from the lower part of the antenna (the high current point) the top part does less radiation cuz its the high voltage end. You can bend a 102 over and still have very reasonable performance as long as the tip doesnt touch the metal body or the SWR go skyrocketing.

[ QUOTE ]
    The longer the antenna the more you will pick up within the 10 meter band.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You actually require a shorter antenna for the 10 meter band. If your operating a CB, you should be transmitting and receiving in the 11 Meter allocated band and not hearing anything in the 10M band.

PLEEEZE dont operate CB in the 10M band!. Its a real bitch for those of us who are licensed to operate 10M CW when someone is running 10M SSB in the 10M Amateur CW band and splattering all over the place /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

17. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you unwound any ??? I have, and most come to 102". I'm talking about antennas like the firestick, wilson, ...ect. Peal off the plastic coating and you'll find the wire I'm talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is usually true for the helically wound type of antennas you mentioned. The ones with the base coils are a different type. The actual radiating element is electrically too short to resonate so its capacitive. The Coil, or inductor cancels the reactance and makes the antenna resonant so it takes on the energy. Due to losses in the coil, and/or the wire wound antennas, they dont work as well as a full 1/4 wave antenna like a 102 whip mounted over an equal groundplane.

18. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Here's something to think about. Some place where you go wheelin as a club won't allow 102" whip as for the damage to spotters on the trails. Nobody really wants to get hit by one of those SS whips! Ouch! 5/8 wave or 1-1/4 wave antenna about 4'-5' I think is what they are looking for on some trails in Ca. Just gotta look around and ask your local CB shops.
    Bill