Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antenna Reception?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by laketex, Mar 22, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

My problem is that I've got a stock truck with a stock antenna, ok it's a ford but forget that for a minute. I want to get better reception out of my am and fm reciever. Have heard some stories with people using those twin cb sticks for a stereo antenna. Tried the fm amplifier they sell at radio shack, that's just a gimmick there, it was actually WORSE. I have a high end deck. Does it have anything to do with the length of cable like a cb? I guess any suggestions or input would help. Thanks.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

2. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Laketex keep the radio and drive a Chevy up under and around the radio, it'll work some much better, its all those crappy parts on the f#rd ruining the reception...try buying a dB gain for the fm bands it'll help...WK

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hey WK, you suck. [​IMG] naw, I wish I had a Chev but I can't afford anything else right now either, so it's either a new truck or parts for the blazer. As you can see, by keeping the ford I'm making the proper decision [​IMG].

You sure that dB gain isn't the thing I bought at Radio shack? It had a button you push for on and off and was a box that plugged in between the radio and antenna. But that thing actually made it worse. It's just that I live about 70 miles from Dallas. At 50 miles away, in Sherman, I can get the stations I want...( 97.1, 95.7, 92.5, 102.9) but in Durant I can't. Sometimes on cloudy days I can. I was thinking about installing a CB anyways, and getting a dual stick setup. Use one stick for CB and the other for Stereo since I don't want a directional CB anyways. Anyone do this?

btw, thanks for the response WK, just not the answer I was looking for. I saw your surprise when you saw the Ford that day, I know but everyone makes mistakes [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

4. chad

chad Registered Member

I have a cellular look a like FM antenna mounted right in the middle of the roof of mine and I put in a FM booster like you have and I get pretty good reception.

[​IMG]
    Cruisin Taz in a 79!
    Chad

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey LakeTex, your just gonna have to move back down to Sherman where we have good radio!! [​IMG] Or better yet, just get a CD changer and forget all the crappy stations!! Why the heck aren't ya listin' to 95.3 "The Range"?
    I don't think the dual CB look will help anything('cept maybe pickin' up Oklahoma chicks[​IMG]). CB is a totaly different frequency. FM is pretty much "line of site" and Durant is just too far away.....on cloudy days you just get a little bounce off the clouds.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

6. First thing is it is a FORD, but I see you are aware of that. Next is you are living too close to Texas and you're getting bad vibes/waves from there. Buy a Chevy and move as far as you can get from Texas. Or it could be WhiteKnights' BigBurb homing device interferring with the cool southern sounds !!

[​IMG]BigBurb[​IMG][​IMG]

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

All FM antennas need a good ground to work with. Check the base of your antenna where it bolts to the body. Make sure its tight and not rusty.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad