Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

antenna retrival

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socalslider, Aug 9, 2006.

1. socalslider

socalslider Registered Member

I had a new windshield installed, it has the antenna in the windsheild, they let the cable fall, any tricks to get it back?

2. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just take off the dash pad and you can reach up from a number of places, either through the hole in the center of the dash where the A/C comes in from or open the glove box and reach in through there if it fell on that side. If you need to reconnect it to the stereo that would make it easy, just reach in through the hole where you slide the head unit out.

I had my dash apart (funny enough it's apart again right now) for a number of things and that's how I always did it.

Ooo I thought of something else, depending on what end fell the end that goes into the head unit is metal, you could use one of those retractable magnets that look like a pen. Just a thought.

-Avery

3. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

i thought these antennas were literaly in the windshield, not glued on...thats pretty kool. lol

4. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would call them back out and have them fix it right. no excuses. if one of my vendors meeses something up when performing repairs They would be fixing it pronto. or paying to have someone else fix it.

5. Avery4jc

I don't think it's a matter of fixing anything, the wire is embedded in the windshield I believe then at the lower center of the glass the wire comes off and runs down into the dash then to the head unit. It just needs to be plugged back in.

Now if the wire is plugged into the head unit and the other end doesn't go to the wire in the windshield that's another story, then yeah I'd have them come out and take care of it.

-Avery

6. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Reach under the dash pull it out and tape a coat hanger or big ziptie to the end. fish it up to the hole and grab it from the top an pull through. It shouldn't have fell, the end is supposed to mounted to the fire wall. Hopefully they left you the connector, or you'll need a new one. 13 years of doing auto glass that happened once, but at least I fixed it before I left.:dunno:

7. ssped

By fix it I ment to not leave the job with out completing it. I consider connecting the antenae lead between the car and windshield part of the job.

8. Avery4jc

True, but for the hassle sometimes it's just not worth fighting over. If you can take care of it yourself the do it, then just know next time to check it before they leave or try someone else, that's what I do.

I learned that you have to pick your battles, connecting a wire in my opinion doesn't seem like one to pick. Well and by battles I don't mean it would be hard to call them and have them fix it, I just mean sometimes it's not worth it. Just my personal opinion, I see what you mean though.

-Avery

9. socalslider

thanks for all the good replys, I think I'll try tohe coat hanger trick.

I would have had them fix it, but I didn't think it was to big of a deal, and they did the job for $135, with a new windsheild

10. ssped

I agree about picking battles

I totally agree especially when you are getting a favor to start with. I run a service Dept and just get hung up on the time is money thing. I kinda tent to carry that mentality home sometimes. That be something for me to look at.

11. Avery4jc

Which number are you talking about, one or two? Where it attaches to the windshield or where it drops down?

-Avery

picture 010.5.JPG

12. socalslider

I have #1, I lost #2

13. Avery4jc

Oh, ok, just wondering what exactly we have been talking about this whole time.

-Avery