Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antennas...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jarheadk5, May 15, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Now that I can wire up my radio, would it be worth it to buy and install a regular whip-type antenna? I've got the in-the-windshield one now, and I personally think it's not much good for reception. Any comments?
    If a whip antenna is in order, what is a good model to get? Thanks, folks.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I have an amplified ant that goes behind the dash. It doesnt requir having to run the coax oyut to the fender or cut a hole outside, or have an antenna that can be bent or ripped off bye those mean old branches.
    I dont remember the part number but i will try to post it tomorow night

89K5 payed 3k for the rig, spent almost 7k in the last 6 months on upgrades!!!!

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Whip type antennas like to whip too many brances when off-roading. Maybe you can find one of those that go on the pillar, parallel to the windshield.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

4. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

when i fixed my stereo, i talked to the guy that runs the repair shop, and asked him about antennas. he said the windshield models were mostly crap, and to use a regular one that goes on the fender. he also said that boosters not only amplify the radio station's signal, but also any interference noise.
    just get a power antenna off a cadillac or honda or something, and throw it on yer fender. i'm pretty sure there's enough room for it! if it's going on a cd/tuner, put it on a separate switch so you can lower it while wheeling.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

5. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

a Honda?? come on now... that's a good idea though, the power antenna. I snapped mine off but it only cost about $15 to replace the whole thing so it wasn't bad.

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Guess it must depend on your location relative to the transmittes. When I lived in Portland, OR, that in the windshield antenna had NO problems getting or keeping a good signal. Now that I am in podunk, USA (about halfway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland) the signals vary. I prefer having NO external antenna (for the aforementioned reasons), luckily am moving back to Portland in 3 weeks.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]