Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antennas

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Emmettology 101, Aug 17, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

i was looking into getting a small Cellular style antenna for my CB and mounting it on the center of the windshield or a little off center due to I have a the radion antenna in the windsield.

Will this work or do these antennas suck? Also will the radio antenna in the windsield affect my recpetion for the CB?

It was either this or mount or a small black rubber antenna on a magnet or sooid mount in direct center of my roof, but I want to go full convert sothis will not work when I do that.

Either one of these mounts sound good? I am really thinking of doing the cellular style one, but dont want to waste my money.

Thanks

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

2. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

don't waste your $$, the steel whips are the best. cellphone style is just too small.....
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Magnetic antennas r about as good as putting water straight into your carb. dont waist your time. As far as mounting a small antenna like a cell phone ante, not a good idea either, the best is to get a 102" whip if that is to big at least get a steel whip of any size. Also use a 18' piece of coax, for best reception. Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

I agree, DONT get the cell phone ant. They suck. I run Francis fiberglass ant. gounded the mounting bracket to the frame of the truck, 18 ft. of coax to my linear then 3 foot to the back of my radio. Ive got mirror mounts for traveling and rear bumber mounts for wheeling. (LOTS of trees here in southern AR.) Stainless ant. are very good also. I run a Cobra 29 classic,(no supertuner, its the original 29)Ive had it tuned,peaked,modulation kit,talkback,echo and even a cow sound in it,its hooked to a palomar 400. I can get out pretty good and talk with the big boys. I Have had galaxy's (99and 88)and connex radios but I drove cross country 18 wheelers for about 8 years and Cobra was the only one that wasnt in a C.B. shop every time I stopped. http://www.coaxkid.com is a great place for some decent prices.

<font color=blue>SLODAWG</font color=blue>
    http://www.slodawg.coloradok5.com

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

6. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

7. Emmettology 101

Cobra is what i usually buy. I was thinking of getting a Ranger someday down the road, but the prices are high.

That Palomar linear, do you recommend it? I have a llinear that was given to me by a friend and it needs fixed, but i haven't gotten it done yet. I was told it put out 150Watts in and out.

I would like to get one for when we go to the moutains and sometimes are group gets seperated and long distance communications are slim to none without one.

How far will yours reach? I wouldn't need one for more that 6-10 miles or so? I am not to versed on linears so I am not sure what wattage reaches how far.

I have been running Wilson antennas for a while. I have the fiberglass model and I cant remember which one, it is a 4 footer and I belive can handle up to 500watts. I have it mounted on an aluminum mirror brakcet that is mounted to the body right under the passenger side taillight. It sticks up past the roof about 5-10 inches.
    Also right now I am running a Cobra 25, but I want to get a 29 with the weather channels so I can monitor that while we are inthe mountains. Although for a cheap alternative, a friend of mine had a Cobra 19 (the black plastic one) It worked really nice and seem to have a lot of output and input and could reach a lot farther than my 25.

Thanks

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

8. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

As far as linears go I love my palomar. Im getting about 410 watts out of it. Its a high drive amp so my radio doesnt have to be turned down but Ive got the mod kit in it so I can control the out put. Rangers are good radios and ya they are pricey. Digital and when taking to a good C.B. shop they can get great audio out of them. My buddy had one and with my linear on, up close, I could change the channel on his radio when I talked. Ive got a weather band in my stereo in my truck. It does come in handy. I never messed with the C.B.'s that had them built in. If your buddy's got a cobra 19 thats out talkin yours he must have something done to it. In my wifes ride we have a cobra 25ltd and all thats been done to it is tuned and peaked with a connex board installed(echo,talkback)about 70 bucks at almost any c.b. shop 18 foot coax with a 4foot francis ant. and it doea great, sounds like a big'ol radio. Oh yeah all I run are Roadking 56 micropnone's. They are great. They range in price from 35 to 70 bucks depending on where and when there on sale.
    Well I guess ive talked enough.

9. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, as far as trying to reach 5 or 10 miles I dont seem to have a problem. On a clear night I can get about 25 miles or so. Im not saying I cant be walked on but you better be walking tall and talking loud cause my little baby driver will do that deal! Any way Id trade the 150 in on a 300 or so if you wanna get ya a big radio. Hooking it up right is most of the battle. All the power in the world wont help when its hooked up wrong.

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Beware of Rangers they r pricey, but very very nice. The only bad thing about them is that all he new ones carry a puter chip that is sqare and takes a special soddering gun that most shops do not carry and will not work on them for that reason. These chips go out all the time from what I hear and cost a pretty penny. Dont get me wrong I like Rangers alot its just that I cant afford the $500 and the chip replacement for about $100 2-3 a year.
    If you plan on a Cobra 29 make sure you stay away from the Soundtracker, thay r a peice of s@#^. Try to get a LTD Classic you will get the best swing watts out of it after being tweaked n peaked. Just my .02, hope this helps.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

12. Emmettology 101

Just for everyones info, The CB Shop recommended to get a K40 SUper Flex antenna in either 3 or 4 foot and it is guarenteed for life from breakage and they will replace it if it does. There is a pic on http://www.thecbshop.com that shows the antenna being bent all the way around and touching itself.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

13. physically short antennas just wont do the job you are looking for in a cb . neither will a gain antenna .
    with sort and gain type antennas u r changing the radiation pattern to be more flat like a disk and u lose the high angle radiation paterns . if some one was on top of a mountain and you were in a valley recption would be poor on the other hand if you were at the beach "relatively flat the the gain antenna would give greater distance .short cellular antennas are less than a 8th of a wave length and are very ineficent for cb frequencys
    the 102 inch whip antenna is a quarter wavelength and is the best all around antenna even for skip .
    but if you live in a flat terrain area maby look at a gain antenna . mark359@earthlink.net

14. mark

mark Registered Member

cobra radios are just uniden radios with cobra stamped on it and the price raised . rangers are japenese radios and are prone to breakage and expensive to repair .I like the uniden grant it is durable and easy to modify for extra channels . and has side band for extra range i get 30 to 40 miles not counting skip . as for linears they usally run about a dollar a watt, and more is not nessary better .
    you have to multtiply by 4 to get 1db gain ,standard is 5 watts so you need 20 watts to get noticeable gain on AM .Standard is 12 watts pep on side band so you need 48 watts for 1db.
    and so on . On am for 2 db you need 80 watts, for 3db ,320 watts and so on . you can see that it gets very exspensive quickly for a little gain. I run a 50 watt linnear on sideband and get about 30 to 60 miles not counting skip . how much more do you need ? also the higher wattages pull a lot from the vehicle power systems and can cause problems if carefull attention is not given .Not to mention that wattages over 300 watts can cause health problems if you are to close to the antenna . Try side band yo will be very suprised at how well it works . mark359@earthlink.net

15. Emmettology 101

I was told by a CB shop that the Cobras are made by Maxxon/Kraco now. So is Uniden made by them now too or is Uniden all by itself now?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com