Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antenna's

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by camarine, Mar 3, 2004.

1. camarine

camarine Registered Member

Antenna\'s

I am stumped here. I want to find a decent antenna for my CB. Looked at the Shack today and they were like 55 bucks for what I want. Does anyone out there have a dual mirror mount antenna they want to get rid of or maybe a long whip antenna? Let me know, want to find an antenna soon. Contact me at e-mail jstinnett@earthlink.net

Thanks
    James

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Antenna\'s

In all honesty, daul antennas (Cophased) don't work very well on out trucks becouse they are not wide enough. Try H&Y My first choice would be 102

3. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Like Z3PR said, dual's don't work very well on our trucks. They are designed for 18 wheelers where they can be placed far enough apart to make "some" difference.

If you want a long whip, check Radio Shack again. They'll probably be in the back but the last time I checked they still sold them for around $15 I think.

Another option is to go to your nearest truck stop. Even the smallest truck stops have a section in the store with CB stuff.

4. camarine

That 102 was originally what I was looking for but spent a day on the net looking and pretty much gave up after that. Thanks for the site. I have been hearing bad things about the duals as well but just like the way they look on the Jimmy's. Thanks again.

By the way where has everyone mounted their antennas at so I can get an idea of what king of mount to buy.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    That 102 was originally what I was looking for but spent a day on the net looking and pretty much gave up after that. Thanks for the site. I have been hearing bad things about the duals as well but just like the way they look on the Jimmy's. Thanks again.

By the way where has everyone mounted their antennas at so I can get an idea of what king of mount to buy.

[/ QUOTE ]If you like the look, put a antenna on each side, just only hook up one side, no coax to the other side. My 102" will be on a ball mount on the right hand side rear quator panal.

6. camarine

Okay, I found a 102" whip today and bought it as well as a ball mount and put them in the right rear quarter of my truck. Looks pretty good. Thanks for your help. I decide to go with the whip instead of the dual look. didn't want to put any more holes in my dorrs.

Thanks again
    James

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Make sure to put a heavy duty (Pot belly) spring between the ball mount and the 102" so it'll have some give.

8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, figured that one out when I was testing to see if it would take a hit. had to run back to radio Shck and get one of those things. I think I have spent more on the antenna components than I have the CB. Still more to get. Thanks for your help again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James

9. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Just a short note here on 102's. Keep in mind that if you wheel you rig on a trail or with a club some 4x4 clubs limit the lenght of the antenna, for reasons of safety. If you are on a trail ride with a big group with lot's of spectators, the 102's are somewhat dangerous, they can create quite the whip on the trail getting bounced around in with spectators.

They get great reception, but keep them under wraps when wheeling around people that are watching.

Speaking from experience.....

Not trying to blow your chi.... Just some saftey..

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Good safty tip. On trails I normally leave the 102 at home, and slap the K40 magnet mount on the hood.

11. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thought about that too so got a radio antenna tip from work and a tie down to take care of that for the trails. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Being a communicator does have some advantages. Even though I don't know the first darn thing about a cb. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I know how to make it secure but why would you need that on the trail? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Thought about that too so got a radio antenna tip from work and a tie down to take care of that for the trails. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Being a communicator does have some advantages. Even though I don't know the first darn thing about a cb. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I know how to make it secure but why would you need that on the trail? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Depending on the kind of trails you run. Around here, there are lots of tree's that can and will get a 102 whipping around pretty good. Seen one serously injure a spotter befor. Came back and wacked the guy pretty badly.

13. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good safty tip. On trails I normally leave the 102 at home, and slap the K40 magnet mount on the hood.

[/ QUOTE ]

UMMMMM........K40 Mgna mount. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I miss the one I had for my old Jimmy. I was only pushing 15 watts, but man it rocked. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I would park my Jimmy next to house, and talk to my cousin who was about 10 miles away. He could hear me crystal clear, when he was distant.

Not to bad I figured for going up and out between two houses.