Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anti-dent

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Innerpiece, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

Hi all --

I know I come up with some odd problems, thanks for bearing with me ...

I decided today, after a good storm, to go play in the mud. This is the first time I've really been out since the tragic "stuck in mud" thread (it's funny, do a search). So I hop in the blazer and head out. Well, I've had a 130-150 Lb brass bell (2' tall by 2' bell mouth) in the back for about 3 weeks now and forgot that it was there. After a good fishtail, it toppled and the entire problem became self-critiquing.

Well, the bell flopped to the passenger side first, where it met with the spare tire. No big deal there, the rubber absorbed the impact and sent the bell rocketing towards the driver's side. The rebound from the spare along with another trail jolt and now I have an anti-dent (and a trashed speaker, but that's childs play).

The anti-dent I can deal with, but the column at the very rear driver's side that the tailgate latches into has been pushed out about 1/2-3/4 inch and nothing is meshing up correctly (of course the first thing i did afterward was open the tailgate only to have it un-closeable). Any thoughts ? I was going to try to borrow a come-along and pull it back in against some immoveable object.

Anyone? thoughts?

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Innerpiece on 08/10/01 10:44 AM.</FONT></P>

2. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

AHHH Yes...we've all been there, of course...who hasn't gone out offroading with a 150lb brass bell flying around inside the truck? Welcome to the club....[​IMG]

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was taking a sip of water when I read that and almost soaked my keyboard from laughing....

BTW, the come-along idea sounds good to me!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

4. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I laid my Blazer on it's side at EJS 2001 and had a similar problem, only mine was pushed in and your is pushed out?. I had to get out the high lift and "spread" the two bed sides apart. I imagine you could use a come a long and hook one end to your bed side that is pushed in and hook the other to another truck ,tree, Highway Dept. Employee, etc. (all are considered stationary objects) and try to pull it back to where it shoud be. Go slow and wrap a tree saver strap around the corner of the bed side and you should be OK.

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

truck ,tree, Highway Dept. Employee, etc. (all are considered stationary objects)

<hr></blockquote>

Jeezez that was funny!!

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I did the same thing to mine on Bell Mt. here in GA (pushed in, don't own a bell that big!) Fixed it with a BFH. It must be a bell thing.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>