Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anti Dust Bunny Tail Pipes???>>>>>

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

My current exhaust has turn downs right after the flowmasters. This creates one hellov a dust cloud out from under my rig during the summer. So I was wondering if anyone had some pics of thier first gen's tail pipes and were they 'exit' out from. I want them to be in a non 'crush' zone so trail stuff doesn't smash um up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Any thoughts on were that is? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

I am currently relocating my tailpipe to exit through my rear fenders just behind the rear tire (about 10'') and about 10'' up from the bottom. After cutting the hole in the fender I will make a 2'' trim band and bolt in place around the pipe.

If you don't get to crazy off road (body/fram flex), this may be an option for you. It looks great.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thought about cutting a hole too but I do get preety twisted up on the trail so....I droped that idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Why don't you just take the turn-down out of it Burt? Just straight back a little past the Flowmasters, and then end.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

look in my webshots. mine exit right in front of the rear tires. they come out of the flowmasters and make a sharp turn. i did this b/c otherwise on the highway with the top off the wind would suck all the fumes back in.

69k5

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My exhaust just goes through the rusted out glass packs and straight. No turn down. They did both go all the way to the back but one fell off on the trail and the other had lost part and the part that was left pointed right at my shackle with nice new greasable poly bushings and melted it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif so it got cut off to the end of the muffler as well.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Oh thanks Dan /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    hehehehe
    Ya thought about just getting rid of the turn down part, the gas tank is right there so I'm thinking I want to go to the side of the tank and out.
    With the FI454 I would think I still want dual exhaust comein out the back VVVVRRRRROOOOMMMMM /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

BBCBURT,

Believe it or not.....you will eventually get tired of the "rumble" of a big block on the highway from turndowns (like on a trip to Moab /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif)

All that "thumpeta- thumpeta- thumpeta" bouncing down off the ground and back up into the floorboards will make you deaf, as well as kick up the dust you mentioned.

I would suggest getting that exhaust over the rear axle, then probably sneak it out with side exhausts. Your rear bumper and gas tank already take up a lot of the space in the very back so I don't know that you've got much chance of getting the tailpipes straight out the back.....plus it's one more thing for "The Terminator" to squash when it's doing the crazy wheelin'

With a 3" body lift, there is a slight chance you could even sneak the tailpipes over the TOP of the framerails before you dump it out the sides. The only concern would be heat, but that far back in the exhaust system it might be cool enough....or there's always heat wrap for that small 12" section that runs closest to the underbelly of the truck.

Just a coupla idears for ya there, BIGBLOCKBURTBBC /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks Greg /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I was thinking that the body lift may alow me to do that too?? I guess I'll find out.
    My plan is to use my current 2chamber Flowmasters(Loud) with turn downs for the brake-in period then get a bit quiteter muffler and take the whole thing in to an exhaust shop and lift up the rig and find the path out the back corners somehow. I will be bringing the running BBC Rig to your house too, I plan on commuting with it for a few weeks to give the engine some nice hwy breakin miles before BlazerFest /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC!

10. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Another problem with straight out the rear exit is that the fumes curl right back into the interior if you have your tailgate open. Probably not an issue topless, but why risk it.

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes I have heard of this issue, I run soft top only, if the top is on at all. Sometimes I do run with the soft top on and the rear window rolled up, that would be the closest I get to the hard top guys with the window down. I will probly try to get the tips to the corners. I'm only a couple weeks away from the begining of my build up. I can't wait!!!
    YYYYYEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC!

12. mountainibis

mountainibis Registered Member

The pipes on my '72 do pretty much what Greg72 was explaining (over the axle and tucked up tight on the sides). I have a few pics here where you can sort of see where the tailpipe comes out.

I can take some underneath pics if'n you're interested.

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

the firewall at work will not let me view from Webshots /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Thanks!