Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anti-freeze problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, May 16, 2002.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i have an 87 k5 350 tbi and i will put anti-freeze in my radiator and in a week it will be all gone and after a drive it smells like something is burning, any ideas what is going on with my truck, thanks.

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Head gaskets anyone? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Sounds like you got some wrenching to do! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif AutoZone head gasket kit for $50, and you're all set. Might even do a tune up while you are in there! Good luck!

-Dan

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

What does it smell like?
    Check all your hoses for leaks, upper/lower rad hoses, heater hoses. Check your heater core for leaks, although you would notice your passenger side floor under the dash is very wet if your losing as much coolant as you say. That would be obvious. You could also have a crack in the engine block that would let water leak out. You could have a freeze plug that is leaking that would let coolant out. Your water pump could be going bad and coolant would be leaking out the seep hole. Radiator could have a leak in it. Brain dump over ...what am I missing? ....

4. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i replaced the water pump about 4 months ago, and from what i can tell there is no wet spots on my driveway.

5. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

My 305 i had did this the exhaust stunk like antifreeze bad i concur bad head gasket or intake manifold gasket. Good luck!