Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anti-lock brake question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tori89k5, Feb 12, 2002.

1. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

My '90 model has rear anti-locks, but have noticed that they really dont "anti-lock" wondering if this is to be expected with oversize tires, or if my system just isnt working properly.
    Anyone have any experience with their system ?

1990 K5 4" lift, 33" MTR's, 14FF w/ Detroit locker, D44 w/ posi, 4.10's Raptor Tranny and Velvet Rides !

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

System isn't working. ABS goes into regular brake mode when there is a fault with the system.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Official Colorado K5.com Fantasy Football Choke Artist!<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

3. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

4. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

An antilock problem will generally also illuminate the "BRAKE" instrument cluster lamp.
    Like said before, the system reverts to "normal" mode if a fault is detected. The ABS computer is under the hood, outboard of the master cylinder. I'm not sure if it's linked to the main ECM or not, but I would see if it registered a code.

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/abshort>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

No illuminated brake warning lights and no codes in system.... Guess i will try to have it diagnosed. I'll keep ya'll posted

1990 K5 4" lift, 33" MTR's, 14FF w/ Detroit locker, D44 w/ posi, 4.10's Raptor Tranny and Velvet Rides !

6. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

I have the same problem with my 90 jimmy. Have you found anything out yet?

7. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Hey Tori, I see you are locked. That will raise hell with ABS. I had problems with mine. Read up on it and discovered ABS diffs rely on something called an exciter ring?? If this is missing it seems to cause problems. I'm not sure how. I just discoed the ABS and problem solved. My thinking is ABS doesn't help on the trail and never used it on the street before now either.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>
    <font color=red>Because I, Am, Canadian!!!</font color=red>

8. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Yes,...... Had a tech. at work put the Snap-On scan tool on it and it says the ABS sensor is "open" I am ordering it from GM this week. Part # 15547452 think its like $80 or so. I will let you know if that fixes it. Later.... TORI

9. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Yo Shawnboy....... thanks for the tip,..... however.... our rigs dont use the type of "exciter ring" you speak of. Those would normally be found in the differential,..... like on the ring gear. Our trucks us one that is in the transfer case.... it only senses when the driveshaft locks up....