Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anti-lock with new rear disks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 2Dogs, May 9, 2001.

1. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

To those of you who have converted to disks and had stock anti-lock brakes:
    I have a 91 with rear anti-locks.
    -Where does the revolution register?
    -Did you keep it working (if at all possible) or should you disable?
    -What did you use to adjust and tune the entire system.
    Dave

2. 2Dogs

Anyone.....? Bueller.... Bueller?

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I haven't done this, but anything is possible. Are you shopping for a kit for rear disks or will you be fabricating your own stuff? I know that this is kind of an oversimplification, but all you have to do is have the same sensor mounted to read off the same ring, somehow. What is the current pickup ring like? Is it integrated with the wheel bearing or not?

<font color=green>"Do not replace belt while engine is running" --Warning on a Kelly Srpingfield package</font color=green>

4. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

I put rear disk brakes on my 90 blazer and did nothing to the anti-lock system. I did not affect anything with it either. It seems to still not want to lock up the rear tires when a slam the brakes to the floor. No problem here.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/>http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/</A>

5. 2Dogs

I will be buting a kit from ORD or ORU for the new 14 bolt FF. Don't know where the original pickup sensor
    is (don't see it anywhere) so I am not sure if I can keep it even if I want to..... I was never impressed with
    the rear braking action, even correctly adjusted the shoes just never show significant wear.
    Thanks-Dave

6. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Someone correct me, but I don't think there is a tone ring on these. I think it is based on pressure some how, too much too soon and they lock, so prevent the spike and not lock. I agree, it seems like my front do all the work.

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Now that I think about it, I have seen speed sensors inside the diff next to the ring gear. The system may not be measuring the speed of both wheels independently. If there are wires going to each rear wheel, then the sensors are there. If there are wires going into the rear diff, then there is a sensor there. But if you are not going to measure the speeds independently, it may as well just use the speedometer send in the back of the T-case. If there are no wires going to any of the wheels or to either differential, it must be a pressure-based system, like was suggested above. But how does that work? Does a faster moving wheel require more pressure to slow it down or less?

<font color=green>"Do not replace belt while engine is running" --Warning on a Kelly Srpingfield package</font color=green>

8. timebomb1602

timebomb1602 1/2 ton status

Hey I looked it up in the Chiltons book and it said that rear anti-lock is run by the speed sensor. The speed sensor is on you t-case, assuming you have a nv241...you should. Discs shouldn't be a problem.

<font color=red>1991 GMC Jimmy 350tbi 3.42</font color=red>[​IMG]

9. 2Dogs

Thanks everyone! The diff will be installed within a month or two - will keep good notes and share the results. -Dave

10. 2Dogs

dup post - sorry
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 96C4and91K5 on 05/10/01 07:45 PM (server time).</FONT></P>