Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anti-Squat and Instant Center...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 11, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright I understand the principals of what these two things are(generally) but as I sit and try to design a suspension I can't figure out how I really want to do things. I mean, I know there is no steadfast rule for this stuff but what am I looking for with anti-squat and instant center? I don't have Excel right now(damn CD key I have for office won't work) and I don't have the measurements for the S10 yet(in a few weeks). But I was helping my friend work on his with the 4 Link Calculator today. We kept tweaking things and the only things I really knew is I wanted to see a nice roll center height and minimize roll oversteer(especially since this is a front 4 link). But the way he had it setup his Instant Center was something like 200" in front of the truck and below the ground(seemed bassackwards to me big time). I talked him into bringing his links WAY closer together at the axle and triangulating them more. Definetally helped his roll oversteer but jumped his anti squat up a good bit. I'm reading through CoG posts and thinking about what I need to see here. Biggest problem is a triangulated 4 link on the front of a Tacoma. Clearance around oil pan is an issue. Required us to space the upper links at the axle about 10" apart to get anything near what I think is a decent ride height(still too tall for me but he likes it). I told him to post his file here so you guys can help him out but hes computer illiterate, I'll have to take care of it for him this weekend.

I knwo this is a newb basic thing but I need help here. My teachers are smart guys but they build drag, circle track, and street cars, the basics are of course the same but overall they don't get it. They thought we were insane to build the truss on the front axle out of 3/8" plate and then to gusset it was even more insane.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Errr....CoG forum? :D

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Center of Gravity.

Ira

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know!! I was suggesting he should(or maybe meant to) post there. it looked a bit technical for the garage! :D

5. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Design the front for minimum drivshaft plunge and good triagulation. You will never get a front designed the way you want it while working around the motor, Transmision to driveshaft clearance etc.

Every front I have been a part of we let the vehicle set the specifics then looked at how bad that made the calculator look. Typically the calculator is going to tell you that is basically sucks but you have so many things to work around that you can't make it perfect.

I don't know exaclty how you are supposed to enter the numbers into the calculator to make it give you real results for the front???

Good Luck.

edit: Guys all posts have to start in the garage or other forums then get moved buy a mod to the CoG forum.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I got the JavaScript/HTML version from Ben a few days ago. I am going to put it up on my site and will post up a link when I do. It is just like my version 1.5 with a few minor differences. I plan on teaching myself how to do all this JavaScript stuff and using it for all the future versions.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats what I figured wasn't going to have to happen. Well glad to hear it from someone besides my own head.

and yeah guys, posts have to start in the garage to make their way to the CoG.

Triaged: What do you think of using the calculator for front designs? Think it is accurate? Does AS just become Anti-Dive?

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Yes it works front or rear. Anti-squat just becomes Anti-dive and the front becomes the rear. The % front braking is ignored just like the % rear traction is ignored for the rear (i.e. rwd assumption for AS and front brakes only for AD).

This is the link to the HTML version 1.5 (which I did not write it just uses all my equations).
    http://mysite.verizon.net/triaged/4linkcalcv15html/index.html