Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anti squat?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gotmud77, May 15, 2006.

1. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

What is a good % to be at? I am using the calculator to get a starting piont then moving things to fit the best. Just wondering what a good number would be. Right know I am at 99.77%

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it depends on who you ask. lots of people like different amounts of AS. BUild in adjustability, that is the absolute best thing to do. best way to adjust AS is making the upper link mounting points adjustable.

3. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the upper frame ends? This was what I was thinking of doing anyway. Take the numbers I have know and go two holes up and two down. This should give me about 4" of adjustment.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

both axle and frame end. Anywhere you can build in adjustment is a good idea. I didn't build enough into the rear of the S10. I haven't tested it yet(since I've yet to finish it and have no clue when or if it will happen) but I know I should have built in more adjustment. The little bit I did will only let me increase anti-squat and I'm already at something like 115% if my memory serves me right.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am figuring mine around 70-80. I want the rear to plant but I don't want it to hop real bad.

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

So, a higher % will make the rear end drop when you give it gas? A lower % will increase traction but make it a stiffer, bouncier ride?

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The way I understand it is a lower % increases the traction when the gas is applied. If I am wrong please correct me so I can re-do my suspension.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

quite wrong. anti-squat is just that, a force that through the design of the suspension prevents squatting. Most average joe's see some random street car at the drag strip. They see it squat and think "wow see that weight transfer, thats traction". I see that and think, "wow lost energy, thats freaking HORRIBLE". I heard it just the other night at a car show. Some 3rd gen Camaro launched, squatted and lifted the front end, bad launch IMO, but everyone went, "wow see that weight transfer". Anyway, the way you will most likely see anti-squat is, say you have 100% anti-squat in a street car. When the car launches, instead of the rear squatting, it stays level or actually lifts a little bit. This lifting IS good. It is the weight planting onto the tires. Think about it. Do a pushup, now when you just let your arms go loose you fall. Does this really put any force onto your hands? No it just lets your weight fall from gravity(not the exact same principal as a car but it is a loosely working analogy). Now push UP. All your weight is on your hands now. Get where I'm going with that? The more anti-squat, the more your tires plant when you hit the gas. However, you have to consider that the more anti-squat, the more the vehicle will have a tendency to lift when on the throttle, and on a crawler with a big traveling suspension, that could be a lot of lift and a real problem in an off camber situation. This is my take on it as of right now. I really need to sit and think more on the subject, but I also need some real time experience behind the wheel of a linked rig before I go more into what I think is a good percentage and such. I've heard horror stories of rigs with 200%+ AS having things like rears trying to walk up under the truck. They lift so much that the rear tries to travel forward under the rig. Good on a circle track dirt car, not so good on well... anything else.

Thus why I'm considering abandoning my s10 project. I built VERY little adjustability into it. I'd really like to get something else, build a TON of adjustability in and really test and learn more about suspensions rather than just going out and running the one thing I built and say "yeah that feels good... I guess..."

9. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

That makes sense. I will just build in some adjustability and go from there. I think I will make my center locations right around 100% and be able to go up or down from there. :D

10. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Thanks for clearing that up.

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Adjustability is good. Just keep an eye on your link separation values.

If your adjustment holes are moving your link ends too close to each other, you are increasing the loads on the heims a LOT. Use the "Materials" tab to check your FS (factors of safety) to see how those values change when you use different setups.

ALSO:

Remember that your Anti-Squat value will go up dramatically as you climb a hill. Just because you have a decent value on level ground doesn't mean that it will still be low in a "real world" environment. There is nothing magical about 100% AS either.....that's not a "perfect" value by any means, so don't make that an objective as you play with the calculator.

Personally....I'm trying to keep my AS% values down in the 50% range. My link design allows me to go from something like 37% to about 135%.