Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anti-SUV ads on tv

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stump_puller, Feb 3, 2003.

1. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

I found this in a newsletter from the SEMA network. This is the article.

CAN YOU BELIEVE
    Anti-SUV Rhetoric Takes an Odd Turn

Perhaps you've seen the newspaper stories or the television commercials. Two new media campaigns are taking unique aim at one of America's favorite vehicles, the SUV.

The first campaign, sponsored by the Evangelical Environmental Network (EEN), asks the trenchant question, "What Would Jesus Drive?" Their basic message appears to be a version of the old environmentalist saw that SUVs use too much gas and produce too much pollution, only with a religious twist: When you make a choice to purchase a vehicle, you are also making a moral choice.

The next campaign, called the Detroit Project, has a uniquely political flavor. This media crusade currently suggests to American consumers (and politicians), through a series of slick television ads, that people who buy SUVs are supporting terrorism. Their simplistic A+B=C style reasoning goes as follows: SUVs use too much gas. The money for this gas goes to countries that support terrorism. Therefore, Americans that drive SUVs support terrorism. The television ads are particularly chilling. At least one of them portrays average everyday Americans making statements like "I gave money to a terrorist training camp in a foreign country."

In the interest of full disclosure, SEMA supports the American right to own a vehicle that suits the buyer's needs and desires, whether that is related to performance, fuel economy, safety, styling or other factors. We do not exclude SUVs from this social/consumer equation. This said, SEMA also supports the freedoms of religion, speech and expression. The EEN and the Detroit Project exercise these particular rights fully at their respective Web sites http://whatwouldjesusdrive.org and www.detroitproject.com.

Please check out the sites they are so unbelievable. It pisses me off to high heaven. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif It makes me mad to think that some groups would come up with such nonsense.

Please check out the sites and watch the ads. I believe they will piss you off too.

http://whatwouldjesusdrive.org
    www.detroitproject.com

What do you all think?

Later,
    Don
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

What would Jesus drive?

I see him in a lifted Chevy truck with 44" tires that never gets stuck and pulls people out who are stuck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

God is supposed to be all-powerful...I just can't see him driving around in a Geo Metro.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

damn, what a lame-O advertising campaign. Anyone who tries to use the "what would jesus do" with respect to modern ammenities is an absolute idiot. No mortal being on this earth has a clue what jesus would drive... or even if he would chose to drive at all. gah, damn enviro-wackos. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

j

4. st08x

st08x Registered Member

i think the whole thing is pretty gay. i bet those people all have little hybrid cars and are rich, but the thing is they ALL buy gas too. ALL of them. i doubt they walk everywhere. they all own a vehicle and drive and it and by gas and are no better then the people who have SUVs. i want to slap all those people and tell them how wrong and stupid they are...

My K-5

5. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

ok so when the first one of these ba$tards needs to be rushed to a hospital or their tree house catches on fire, they will just have to wait for the environmentaly safe rescue rickshaw to get there and take care of the problem.

6. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

My guess is that most of those folks ride in a limo with driver and some corperation pays for it and the gas.That way they can say they don't buy either.As for Jesus issue,looks like he's praying for 4X4 to climb the ledge he's leaning on.Prob could have used one while he was wandering country for all those lost years.O yea,the long hair wouldn't go over too good nowdays either. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I could see these people have low mileage cars like Hondas, Toys, or Acura, but i bet they have 6000+ SF houses that they keep at 78 all day and every day... what kind of fuel do they use to heat that house.

If i could get an Electric truck to climb a 4-foot wall i would do that. and in time that might be possible. But do not get after use as users of a product, get after the carmakers that have not changed the product.

I thought this was a Free Country. If I (we) want to pay $35 a week to drive a big @$$ truck then we can. (since the wife and I are looking for a different car for me to drive to work all the time) When I go to the dealership and they ask me what I pay in gas for a month in my truck I till them it is less the $400+ car payment a month + the insurance for a car that will take gas as well.

I do not support their idea on the gas thing, but I do see their side somewhat. I see that we all as people should look at way to cut our use of Fuel, Water, Electricity, and other sources of power. Like my wife and I drive to work together (because we can currently) 4 days a week. We turn our heat down to 50 at night and when we are not at home (In Kansas 50 might be HOT in Canada or in Northern States).

So I do not totally dismiss their ideas.

8. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

hope they don't crash their car on a rainy day for the electric powered ambulance might short out before it gets there /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif you got to understand these people aren't the smartest when it comes to mechanical sh!t, think a tune up would consist of changing your brushes, and checking the water in the batterys, maybe spraying some windex on the solar panel, even my 02 silverado gets maybe 13 mpg (lead feet don't help) but if those people want to buy new cars every 5 years and always drive 55-65mph on the freeway let them, I don't like spending my weekend trips driving( unless its in dirt or mud) going 65 is only cool when your tachin like 4000 rpm /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jekbrown

pretty much all environmentalists are massive hypcrits. I mean if you think about it, pretty much everything man kind does "rapes" the land (their lingo, not mine). Farming, mining, the production of electricity (yes, including solar, wind, geothermal etc), manufacturing etc etc all disturb nature and use natural resources.

Any enviro wacko who wants to give me poop tho, had better not be eating food grown on a farm, wiping with TP, using ANY water robbed from natural resources... and sure as hell not any kind of vehicle. Assuming the enviro-wacko does use some of those ammentities, I generally just laugh in their face.

j

10. jekbrown

pretty much all environmentalists are massive hypcrits. I mean if you think about it, pretty much everything man kind does "rapes" the land (their lingo, not mine). Farming, mining, the production of electricity (yes, including solar, wind, geothermal etc), manufacturing etc etc all disturb nature and use natural resources.

Any enviro wacko who wants to give me poop tho, had better not be eating food grown on a farm, wiping with TP, using ANY water robbed from natural resources... and sure as hell not any kind of vehicle. Assuming the enviro-wacko does use some of those ammentities, I generally just laugh in their face.

j

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I made a post about "dumping my SUV" on the Detroit Project website. Here it is:

I had an 86 S-10 Blazer and it was getting horrible gas mileage. I fainlly decided to get something more economical. I put my S-10 in my side yard and bought a 92 Firebird. I figured I was getting the same amount of gas mileage, but this one had a V8 so it was better. I got good gas mileage, around 25mpg, but I soon needed something better. I went out and bought myself a 92 GMC Yukon. I thought about buying a Hyundai, but I figured that towing my 79 Trans Am was out of the question, especailly with the big V8 the TA has. I also thought about how my car parts from my business would not fit in the Hyundai, or any other car for that matter.

Some people actually need things like this for their lives, don't preach to me about how I am supporting terrorism when I am trying to keep a business going. If making money for my family is supporting terrorism, then I am guilty. You seem to be stereotyping. I guess since I'm from the south and drive a truck and a Trans Am I am some sort of inbred redneck in your eyes then, huh?

12. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

good point, they better not be living in a house built with the wood that is taken from our forest. basically its ok for them to use the ammenities they use but not ok for us to do what we do. they say our use of gas is excessive /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifsorry if I like to go out and drive my 4x, sitting at starbucks all day smoking and drinking coffee isn't my lifestyle, people need to start worrying about themselves a quit crittisizing about sh!t they don't even know about

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    "What Would Jesus Drive?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a K30. He was after all a single guy, carpenter, always outdoors and camping out, spent lots of time in the sand and had at least 12 friends who probably were always asking him to help them move...

BTW I like how it's ok for them to drive a smaller car. That car still uses gas. So, what it's ok to support terrorism a little bit, just not a lot...? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

14. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Enviro freaks should go out and see what happens to trails when they aren't used any more.I've been going to Tellico area since 88 and threr was a lot of trails in Tn.Most of them were closed to motorized traffic.This meant hikers and horseriders have free run of them.The trails on N C side of mountain show lots of wear,but,they are still passable.Trails pn Tn side are eroded so badly now they're not useable without lots of work.Hikers {most of them}won;t spend any time on trail maint.,they expect someone else to keep them open.Now hikers and horse riders complain about damage to NC side.Same prob here in mid Tn.I live on edge of 25,000 acre game reserve.Lots of medium level trails in it.Can't run them in motorized vehicle,but,horse riders can go anywhere they want,even make new trails wherever they want.Well I guess some things don't change,a few can still ruin things for lots of others. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Why would Jesus drive at all? If I were god i would just teleport places.