Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ANTI SWAY bars on first gen..front end?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TONYP, Aug 22, 2003.

1. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

anyone done it and do you have picks and parts needed... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

these are some pics from Steve Chin's web page:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He just used a 73-up chevy 4x4 sway-bar and spring plates, and made the bar mounts that go onto the front cross member.

I have been thinking of doing the same thing but having the sway bar go behind the axle (not in front of it like on a 73-up) so that cross over steering would fit when I eventually get it.

Check out the rest of Steve's site at
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1963/BlazerPix.html

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I was about to mention Steve Chin's install and pictures but Triaged beat me to it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I have kept those pics saved for quite some time in case I install a sway bar in the front of my Burb. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I did it.
    I used hmmmmmm....here it is
    http://www.addco.net/

Was about 8+yrs ago I put it on...I'll have to look for some pics for ya...
    I also have quick disconnects from Persson Off Road, Toyota site (my book mark no workiy??)

5. I am in the process of putting a (god forbid) YJ swaybar on the front of my 72 blazer. I am using it because the ends are the proper width, it is wide enough to bolt directly to the frame rails and the trailing parts of it are short enough to keep it behind my pitman arm (I have crossover steering) I will be using bushings and straps from a 78 (god forbid) Bronco swaybar to mount it to the frame to keep the bar well below my harmonic ballancer. Pics to come later. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you succeed, be sure to post pics......! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I have NEVER seen a photo of a swaybar setup on a K5 with crossover steering. I would sure like to though....

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

there is a book out on the history of the K5 till around 1981....anyways they reprinted an article from a early 70's rag doing just what you want to do...

DW

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Burt,
    checked out addco and looks like they have what I'm after...I think you have the 7-leaf pac on the front, what is the lbs and how did the ride change...was it a big change? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I think I have 5 leaf Rancho 4" up front.
    My rig would start to rock back and forth on uneven pavement jammin down the road. It got so bad once all I could do is hold the stearing wheel and pray I wasn't gonna smak into that big rig comming the opposite way. After that scare I put on the sway bar and now my rig just bounces up and down instead of side to side...WAY better.
    I would get some kind of disconnects cuz wheeling with the bar attached will bend the lower mounts that bolt to the springpack.
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif