Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anti-Theft Deterring devices?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Dec 19, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for some simple anti theft deterring devices to install(by myself) because I'm moving south soon to a rough city where I know trucks like mine are all too frequently stolen just for a joyride then crashed or even set on fire after the abusive run.

things like fuel cut off switches and engine compartment battery and ignition switches. I have a simple audible alarm but I really want my rig to stay put while I'm taking classes and away from my rig for more than 3 hours.

I don't have a sound system anyone would want and my speakers are from from "high fidelity".

any suggestions on what you all have done would greatly be appreciative!(as I am sure others would like to know as well)
    -DeeVee8

2. roadrage

roadrage Registered Member

A 50 caliber magnum works quite well.

3. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

But he was talking about when he isn't cruising in it or standing next to it!!

<font color=orange>'86 Military Blazer with 4" Lift & 33" Tires</font color=orange>[​IMG]

4. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

I think a fuel cut-off would work good on a gas! I don't have one on my diesel cause I heard running it out of diesel can damage it, probably not as much as somebody stealing it but oh well. I will probably try to do a battery disconnect sometime. As for my stereo I hope the tuffy security console will protect it but don't have any protection for the box and 2 12's!

<font color=orange>'86 Military Blazer with 4" Lift & 33" Tires</font color=orange>[​IMG]

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Grant makes a kit that makes your steering wheel removeable, so you could take it with you. Properly hidden battery and fuel cut-off switches are probably your best defense against thieves other than retina scanners and flame throwers [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Danivek

Danivek Registered Member

The Car Guard-----they have them at pep boys (i know i know--i hate the place too) about $50 give or take- it goes around the steering column. it's nice and thick, makes it impossible to get to the ignition.
    I've actually seen it work---i live on the border of texas and mexico--decided to drive over and party over there. Parked it in a lighted area were i thought it would be safe--low and behold i come back after partying and my sliding glass window is open and theres a (no offence to anyone) a dirty mexican going at it with a chisel and a hammer, and a couple other tools laid out on the seat. Needless to say the car guard is a little scrached up, but i still have my truck and a few tools that he decided to leave.

http.//jimjim.coloradok5.com

7. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

He left without saying goodbye? LOL If yer gonna go with a passive deal...I'd go with a fuel cutoff that's well hidden. Think of a place, then ignore that one and think of another...if you can think of it so can they. The beauty part about a fuel cutoff is they get down the block and then she pukes out like a bad choke or something. The truck is now in traffic and attracting attention...the thieves HATE that!

"I'm not stuck...I just dropped my beer in my lap"

8. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Get a hand full of toggle switches and put them in series mounted in various places in the cab. Have some of them flip one way for ON and some flip the other way for ON. Now tap this confusing set of switches into the HOT wire going to your starter silinoid. Also get an electric fule pump and use a couple more toggles to wire that up. Spend a hundered bucks on the Grant wheel remover......

OK so now you have no juce to the starter so hot wiring is out you have no fule being pumped to the motor and a cap on your steering colum to prevent it from being pushed down the street or out of the driveway.......

Like everyone allways says if they really want it bad enough the will figure out a way around all this stuff.

I say MAKEUM work for IT!!!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

10. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    For sure dont waste your money on the "club" I had a friend who was a retired professional auto theif. He broke in to a mutual friends truck and tore the club off inside 40secs. He hasnt found a alarm, add on device or anything else that he cant get around. If he wants it bad enough he can just flatbed it away..lol

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinking.... You would think they would use tow trucks more often.....

Burt4x4,
    With a sequence like that, I'd have to mount the instructions on the visor [​IMG].

Personally I just hire a bodyguard for mine. It's well worth the $600 a week to know it's safe. LOL... j/k

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

12. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

depending on the season a dog in the back is a great theft deterrent, even more if they get pissed easily!
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

MudFrog it's almost like your in an airplane cockpit..click..click,click....click, click
    then try to turn it over LOL
    I think the main thing is to 'deter' the tweakers from takin it for the joy ride!! If a pro whants it for the parts then well.........

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

14. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

My neighbor has a bumper sticker on his Chevy that says "Protected by a Pit Bull with AIDS." I like his idea.

Jeff

Don't drive it unless it says Chevy!

15. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

go to this page here scroll down to action videos and click on "radical car security includes flamethrower". it's about half-way down the page.

http://www.apb.com/

phil

16. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

I have the grant pop off wheel, works great, its just a pain to lug the wheel around. id reccommend that or a column lock. gm's are rediculously easy to steal by cracking the column with a screwdriver, then, you can always put a bottle of poison whiskey under the seat;P

17. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

18. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

MudFrog,
    The wheel is really solid and locks on. No chance of it coming off. When you take it off, you replace the wheel with a metal cover. It adds 2" onto the length of the colum, but its sturdy as anything. Its great for working on the interior too, just pop the wheel off and the dash comes off real easy.

19. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

you could remouve the gas tank and take it with you....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

20. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

You could rig up a system like my bro-in-law had put in his Jag. It has a HUGE bottle of CS pepper gas (24oz of 15%) installed up under his dash. The shop then hooked up a manifold that connects to a about a dozen spray nozzles hidden in the dash, center console and in the “B” pillar. The system is armed anytime the ignition is turned off, it is turned off by a keypad on his keychain. If the system is set off, the entire bottle is emptied. I drove him over to the shop to pick it up and the tech hooked up a pressurized bottle of water to demo it to him. Needless to say he was soaked, I’ll bet he was glad it was just water! Too bad the shop charges so much for the system ($800) or I would have one put in my Blazer. With a little scrounging, and tinkering I bet somebody could hook up a similar system for less than $100. Yes I am in the process of scrounging up the parts now.