Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anti-Theft Device

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Innerpiece, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

Hi all -- In my many dealings with my gas gauge problems (see the common problems thread) I think I may have found a simple and effective way to make a $2 anti-theft device that would foil most theives. Please pardon the shitty illustrations. Ignore the "."'s they are required for spacing. Check it out.

The fuel gauge sender and fuel pump are connected by a wire that runs down the inside of the left frame member. There's a connector just before the rear axle (for removing the tank). Its wired kind of like this:

...(Gauge)
    ........|...............................................................................+============+
    ........+===============(Connector)====================|(Tank Sender)....|
    .....................................(......./.....)....................................|.......................|==========+
    ........+===============(......./......)====================|(Fuel Pump)......|..................|
    ........|...............................................................................+============+..................V Ground
    ...(Fuel Pump Crap)........................................................................Gas Tank

Basically, If you disconnect the connector two things happen:
    (1) The Fuel Pump doesn't work
    (2) The gas gauge reads >full.

If you ground the gas gauge sender wire, the gas gauge reads empty.

Sooo ... If I install a simple radio Shack switch in line with the connector that in one position leaves the circuits as is, and in the other postion opens the fuel pump circuit and grounds out the gas gauge sender, I'd have an effective anti-theft device. Something like this:

...(Gauge).........+=========+
    ........|.............|.................V ground..................+============+
    ........+====(.Switch....)=====================|(Tank Sender)...|
    .................(......./......).....................................|.......................|==========+
    ........+====(......./......)=====================|(Fuel Pump)......|...................|
    ........|..............|...............................................+============+..................V Ground
    ...(FPC).............+====Open

The switch would hide on the inside of the left frame member, out of view, but still relatively accessible from the rear left wheel well. With the truck disabled, anyone trying to take it would see an empty gas tank and the truck would turn over but not crank. Everything else would work normally. Of course, this would only work with a TBI engine ...

The way I figure it, $2 for the switch from radio shack (and that's for a good heavy-doodle one). If you really want to do it with grace, get another connector ... Thus-ly :

...............................+=(Switch)=+
    ...(Gauge)..................|+(.........)+|
    ........|......................|.|...........|.|...............................+============+
    ........+==(Connector)=+.|...........|.+==(Connector)======|(Tank Sender)...|
    .............(......./......)....|...........|.......(....../......)...........|......................|===========+
    ........+==(......./.....)==+...........+====(....../......)======|(Fuel Pump).......|....................|
    ........|...............^...............................^.....................+============+....................V Ground
    ...(FPC)............New Male...................New Female
    ...........................end..............................end

Whatdya think?

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

i think it is a pretty good idea,,,back in my hotrodding day's we all used to have electric fuel pump's,,so most of us had a secret switch somewhere on the car that was easily accesible,,it saved my ride from theft on one occasion at the mall,,they broke the ignition out,,but could not get the car started,,very glad i had it then....they knew what they were doin cause they defeated my alarm i painstakenly installed to hide it well also,,it had an ignition cut off on it,,but they found it and bypassed it,,,however they didn't find the fuel cut off,,,,shouldda looked under the dash better [​IMG]

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

I'm putting an NRA sticker on mine and maybe a grenade trap! Hehe

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I like my "Protected by Smith & Wesson" sticker on the back of mine. I think that clears up what may occur to any car thief if they try to steal it....

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Innerpiece, sounds like a good idea for those with ele pumps.
    Chevycagal, I would not brag about having a sticker on my truck like that. S & W is a British owned company. Incase you didn't know or forgott, they signed a deal with the Clinton admin to turn over the way the company is run.
    "Gunmaker Smith & Wesson stuns the firearms industry and gun owners across America when it announces it has knuckled under to threats of government lawsuits and signed a secret agreement which gives Clinton everything he's asked for. But the provisions of the agreement go far beyond what has been reported in the press, including the creation of a new government oversight commission to monitor compliance and enforce management decisions on the company."

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

6. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Pro gun people, I love it. I cant get enough. you should see all the flack I get for having a license plate that reads"GUN DELR"
    Out here in Sacramento...

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!!
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wonder if anyone has ever thought of something with a grenade pin and a string?

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

8. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine used to have a PoS Dodge minivan that you had to turn the parking lights on before you turned the key to start. This was built like this, from the factory. Im not sure if all Dodge minivans were like this. Kinda gave me some ideas. I need to put some kind of anti theft device on my 79' TA. And this summer im gonna kill switch the pump on my 89' Sub. Thanks for the diagram.Later....

One From None

9. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

That sound like a good idea...
    What colors are the wires? and is ok to ground the gas gauge sender wire like that?

[​IMG]

10. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

The haynes has a wiring diagram in the back that has the colors ... I'm not sure off the top of my head.

Grounding the gauge sender wire is ok (as the float has near 0 resistance at empty anyway), but don't ground the fuel pump wire as you'll probably blow a fuse (learned that one the hard way).

11. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I understand totally what you are going to do and like the idea I just might try that myself. But am I the only one who doesnt understand how to read the diagram.. lol I know the wires and how the system works pretty well but cant make heads or tails outta that.. lol It probably just me.. I am retarded and not affraid to admit it... Great idea though

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

12. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

I've got some time to spare today. I think I'll do this to my Jimmy. I don't think anyone is going to try and take it but I like re-wireing everyting....

[​IMG]

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah.. I told myself I would never buy a S&W for that reason.

Para-ordinance makes a great gun, but not many people know who they are (They make a 14+1 Double action .45 in a 1911 design).

A nice "Glock Perfection" bumper sticker works well too.

Or "Forget 911, I dial .357"

Do any of you use the metal padlock collar? I know Gm's are notorously weak there for theft.. just wondering what you all thought.

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'm not bragging and I happen to like my sticker and my Smith & Wesson I recently accquired. The sticker is funny (I get comments that it is and people like it too) and lets them know no little bell is gonna sound if they touch it. Instead if they touch they'll find me flying outta the house pointing the barrel them tellin' them touch my baby and die! :-) Besides I think it's a nice gun despite what Clinton signed with them....

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have one of the steel collars. It is a lot thicker than a GM steering collum. I've had three Chevys stolen, I know two were peal the collum jobs. One gone for good, one I got back with a nice dent, and one they never got out of the lot-reverse was broke. After the third time I bought the collar. I guess it works, nothing has been stolen since.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

16. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

That sounds awesome. Is there any alternative to pre 87 vehicles. Like a switch controlling the distributor or something?

[​IMG]