Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anti-theft for no-top Jimmy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, Apr 30, 2003.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Anybody have ideas on how to keep my stereo from getting stolen with the top off? Some kind of redneck engineered thing, maybe? Already strapping down the speakers, but what about the deck? Shoulda bought a face-off.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

3. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

maybe after the lockers, gears, lift, bumpers, tires, wheels, motor... Looking cheap and quick for now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

spendy but I have to tell ya it works awsome and if you get the wide one,that you need, you can safely store small family members in there, I have a 10 disc changer in mine and still have room for about 36 beers.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI was really suprised at how much they were but you can do a group buy through , toybox.com( guys , help me here)but I saved like 70 bucks and they're worth it...

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you can safely store small family members in there, I have a 10 disc changer in mine and still have room for about 36 beers....

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

rig up some of those Fire crackers that you pull the two strings and they go POP.... rig em up behind the deck, so when they pull it out they think they are getting shot at and runaway ;P... Thats kinda redneck i guess

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I definately recommend the Tuffy console, that damn thing is tough! It looks like it'd take a couple ounces of C4 to get the sumbitch open sans key! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just make sure that the stereo that you put in the console is worth more than the console. After I installed it, I realized my $h!t didn't add up to the cost of the Tuffy, but someday it should... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

umm lets see id have to say my rottweiler would be my first choice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Does your stereo have knobs, or is it one of the newer flat face, DIN designs? The one in my K5 has knobs and I bought a really slick locking cover for it many years ago. It's called the Audio Safe. The base plate mounts around the face of the stereo and is held in place using the shafts of the stereo itself. You can barely see the baseplate. There's a metal housing that locks onto the base plate and totally covers the stereo and the knobs, so it would be pretty hard to remove. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It takes a round key, like you see on vending machines, to remove the cover. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I don't know if this thing is even made any more, since it seems that every stereo you see these days is a DIN style. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if u can weld, build ur own tuffy. The metal on a tuffy isnt that thick, use some 3/16" plate, and weld it to a roll cage... oughta be a-ok.

j

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Just put the whole truck in the air, so noone can see in!! HAHA

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

as far as the head unit goes, I think getting a removeable face-plate model (and actually using it!) is the first step. Ive had my rig burgerized twice since i got my detachable face head unit... and neither time did they even bother trying to remove it, they went for speakers and amps and crap instead.

I am gonna make some speaker enclosures once I can weld. My basic approach is going to be to make it so the goods cant be removed with: a screw driver, bolt cutters, prybar or pliers. 99% of car stereo theives arent going to have much more than that for tools... so just design the enclosures and their mounting with that in mind. Nothing is theft proof... but if they have to make lots of noise (like cutting welds or whatever would require!) then they will prolly just rip off ur neighbors stuff instead...

j

14. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I agree... lift the truck about 12-15 inches... and conveniently don't put any steps on to get up... That way you have a cool truck that most thieves will give up trying to get into... and even if they are determined, most people would have a kid in the back of their Honda pointing and saying "Look mommy, a monster truck and a guy with tools trying to steal the CD player!" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Most new decks have a bolt hole in the back. Get a bolt, sheet metal screw and a a role of metal plumbers tape.
    Fold the end of the plumbers tape fold it over once, stick the bolt threw and tighten it down in the back of the deck. Stretch the plumbers tape back to a good spot on the fire wall and double over the end of the tape again and run the screw in! Then sit back and watch an idiot try to pull the deck out! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    3/16" plate, and weld it to a roll cage

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Then sit back and watch an idiot try to pull the deck out!

[/ QUOTE ]
    The only problem with that is that most of those morons will DESTROY your deck and your dash in the process. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Pit Bull w/Aids.

19. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

I had the same probs w/ a 75 jimmy a few years back. Solved it by rigging up an annoying buzzer to the interior light switch at the driver/passenger doors while merging a hidden switch to activate/deactivate the buzzer inside the rear drivers side wheelwell.

When I left the truck, I would flip the switch in the wheelwell. When the lazy piece of #$%^ wants to steal the stereo, he opens the door to let his lazy a!@ in, and the buzzer goes off...at least until the door is closed.

If you do this, be sure to wire it to both doors.

It worked for me until I saved the $$ for a Tuffy.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

20. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Robber opens door, buzzer goes off, and he's supposed to run away fearing for his life??? Theives pay no attention to car alarms so why the hell would they care about a damn buzzer? Sorry but I don't see a buzzer being an effective anti-theft device. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif