Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anti-theft shut off switches?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77K5Blazer, May 20, 2001.

1. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

In light of all the recent hijackings of those beautiful K5s (tears), I am wondering how I can make myself a shut off switch! So, I know that there have been a ton of posts on this subject, but I can't seem to find them. I wanna do an electrical cutoff switch hidden somewhere, but I am wondering what I am going to need (materials) to do this? I am not very electrically inclined, but with CK5's help, I know that I can do it! So, if I did this switch, I would like to somehow put it on the battery to shut off the juice from it. Could I somehow rig a switch on the ground post that "disconnects" the battery? Does anyone have any better ideas? I am very interested in this, espicially since taking my top off for the summer kind of makes locking the doors useless! I guess I am also gonna have to lock up my toolbox! I think I am going to chain it and my Fire turnouts to my spare tire carrier in the cargo area! Thank you for any ideas and help on the subject!

1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 31x10.50r15 BFGs

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I jsut put a switch on the fuel pump ground, near the rear drivers side shcok mount. i got the switch for $2 at radio Shack. Make sure when you wire it up that the contacts are away from the frame, so it doesn't ground at the switch. You may even want to put a piece of plastic between the frame and the switch to prevent this. This whole thing took about 5 minutes.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

3. 77K5Blazer

Could you explain a little more in depth how to do this? Seeing as how mine is carbed and 13 years older than yours, would my fuel pump be in a different location? I was also wondering, since you shut off the fuel pump, the ignition still works, right? So technically they could still run it out of gas. Does this harm the engine in any way, running it out of gas? Is there anything you have to do once to get in and need to start it up again? I know that if you run a diesel out of fuel it is a big procedure to get it going again. And it would be embarrasing to take off and have to your rig die cause you shut off the fuel. How long will it run without the pump? That is why I was thinking of cutting all the electrical off, so nothing can be done to it.

4. 77K5Blazer

bringing back to the top, I am really interested in doing this!!!!

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

If you have a mechanical fuel pump, It will not work. On mine though, there is a wire right behind the shock mount, grounded to the frame. I unscrewed it, cut it a few inches fro mthe end, put 2 connectors on each end and plugged them into the switch. I tried JB Weld to get it to stick to the frame, but it didn't work, so its duct taped on right now[​IMG] I don't think you can run it out of gas like this, because the pump is not pumping. The starter will turn, but it wont start. I guess someone could burn out the starter...but I'd rather have a burned out starter than no Blazer at all.......hope this helps.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

6. 77K5Blazer

All right, how do I find out what kind of pump I have? That sounds like a good idea if I have the right one. If I do, expect a PM from me asking exactly how you did it, cause that is what I would do. If I don't have the right pump, does anyone have any other ideas?

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Look on the front pasenger side of the engine. That is where a mech. fuel pump would be. Just fallow the fuel line from your carb. A electric pump would be at the back of the truck.

Also you could put in a switch to the Ignition. The engine would than have no spark and would not start. With a fuel pump switch on a carbed engine it will start and maby drive a short distance before the fuel in the float boal is used up.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

8. 77K5Blazer

Do you, or anyone else, have any ideas on putting a shut-off switch int he ignition? That is what I would like to do, espicially since the truck would start because of left over gas in the float bowl. Could I just put a switch on the battery, or on the distributor?

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You would put the switch in the wire that goes to the Dist. from the Ignition key switch (Pink?). You could just hide it under the dash.

My gear shift is out of adjustment (when in park the pointer points at reverse). You have to hold the shifter up to start it. Kind of like built in theft prevention.

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Cutting off the fuel wouldnt do damage to your motor, at best you would have to prime the carb with a splash of fuel to get the motor fried (oops) fired up without alot of engine cranking.
    A friend of mine bought a Sears DieHard battery with a remote kill switch, like a car alarm for 160 dollars. It basically kills the electrical system except for the radio memory and what not. Its a lot of money but it also comes with a 5 yr replacement warranty, no pro-rating.
    Another option for the older blazer was an inline cutoff valve for the fuel line with the valve handle inside the cab, I'm thinking about this myself. Someone posted this idea just a few weeks ago.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Hey 77... the easiest way to do this to ground out the coil. In fact JC whitney has these kits with a high quality switch, instructions, etc. for like ten bucks. It will all come down to two things though... one hiding the the switch in a good place. I'll give away one spot since I can't use it, but in one of the REAR ashtrays. Flip it down... hit the switch... real easy. Right off the battery is a bad idea cause they will see it right away if they pop the hood. This leads to step number two/item number two... hiding the wire to the coil. There is usially a large chunck of wires going across the top of the engine any ways and some wires coming off for power, tach, etc. Try and hid it to fall into these wires. Mine is hidden in with the tach wire in wire loom.

Overall if they really want your truck they will get it, but usually a theif will try to take an easy vehicle (that is why these trucks are stolen alot... back when I wasn't always good we would call the two whack specials... one for the window and another on the column... then just push down the rod... vroom) This w/ a cheap alarm that is installed so not easily found usually warts of potential theives and especially rookies. If they break a window.... alarm goes off and they can't easily find the alarm horn to cut the wires or they hit the column and then try to start it and all it does is crank... chances are the noise and camotion will bring attention and they will flee. Another great item to wart off theives is one of those steering colunm steel lock rings that won't be able to be broken very easily and yes the club is pretty lame, but it is highly visable and does take most small theives to another target.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

12. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

on my 87 1 ton dually wrecker I just wired up the fuel pump to the park light circuit, this way you have to have the park lights or headlights on to start the truck....I doubt it if thieves would turn on the lights and attract attention to themselves while trying to steal my truck... took it in for a safety inspection a while ago and drove it in to thier shop, then left. they couldn't start the truck when they were done and it tied up their bay for a bit....I forgot to tell them...just my 2 cents...ED

13. Flyinhi86

Flyinhi86 Registered Member

There is a switch you can buy from LMC. I am sure you can get this just about anywhere. It is a battery isolating switch. You run power from your battery straight to this switch first. It isolates the whole electrical system, if you only have one battery. Also protects against potential fire.

14. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

im not exacly sure how this wires up but my dad used to wire the cig.lighter to ground out the ign.(for his nonsmoking customers that is)push in the lighter and the ign. is grounded.he did this back in the 70s.im not sure how safe it would be on comp controlled cars/trucks.and i definately would not do it on an air bag equip.auto!!!!the thing about it was what theif is gonna check the lighter of all things for a kill switch.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

15. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

what makes them so easy to steal...
    what do you mean they push the rod down
    [​IMG]

16. 77K5Blazer

Thank you everybody for the help! So, triaged, I would just splice a switch into that wire and hide the switch?? That would be pretty easy, does anybody know which wire exactly? Pink? is not good, a definate answer if you can!! Thank you!

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

One of my manuals says pink or pink w/ blue stripe, the other says just pink. It should come out of the steering collum. Just cut the wire, attach one end onto each terminal of the swich and hide it somewhere under the dash. Don't forgit to use electrical tape to keep it from shorting.

18. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

what I mean FBB... is if you take the steering column apart you'll see that the lock cylinder just turns and pushes down a rod to connect the circuit to the starter... so all you would need to to do is hit the column w/ the hammer and crack the plastic open and then use a srew driver or whater to push the rod and complet the circuit. I have seen a few vehicles like this at auctions and in the shop... usually are impalas or caprices though LOL.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

19. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Hey 77 I also did the ignition cut-off. My wire was pink and I couldn't find it in the cab so I got it under the hood. All I did was splice the wire and ran a switch into the cab. Mine isn't actually a switch it's a push button that has to be depressed every time you start the truck. I have mine hidden under the carpet near the seat mounts. This way it isn't obvious to anyone that I'm pressing on the button. I just do it with my foot. This is always good when my friends want to drive my truck. I tell them that if they can start it they can drive it. They turn the ignition switch and nothing. =) It's worked great for years.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

20. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

instead of a new button you could wire it through your brights switch on the floor so you have to turn on the brights to start the car. actually the lights wouldnt have to be on just the switch. of course the lights would turn on when you started the car but that isnt a big deal. or you could use something else for you brights. just a thought.