Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anti water skid plate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the excuse, Feb 26, 2004.

1. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

any one ever built somesort of plate to put under the frame right below the engine to keep mud and water off? i got wheel wells in but i like keeping all my bearings in my alternater and pumps working. plus i have an open element k and n on top of my carb. any drawbacks to this, like overheating or something. i just want to be able to hit mud and water fast without drowning my engine.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The problem would likely be extreme engine bay temperature. Performance would be down, and I'd suspect engine bay temp would be extreme enough to cause all sorts of problems.

Through the bottom of the engine bay is the only real way for hot air to escape under hood, you'd need to come up with some way to let the air escape if you closed off the bottom. A cowl or louvered hood MIGHT work for this with a plate under the engine (since the incoming air would be forced to exit that way) but it would still be inefficient compared to "stock".

3. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

ok i just made something out of an oil pan (the one that goes under the car). iy comes off the crossmamber under the engine. it basically covers the pullys and half way doen the side of the engine. its open where the engines oil pan is. i dont think ill have a problem with venting because the only big hole i closed off was the one infront of the engine. the air is kind of channeled so it goes over and arround the sides of the engine before geting out. there is a large gap on the driverside though. this is between the wheel well and the frame. i think if i make something for that it will be fine. i also have the diesel radiator on a 350 so i think it will stay cool.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As long as you haven't blocked off too much area, then it will probably be fine.

Just don't forget, no matter how big the radiator is, the engine is still going to radiate heat, and that engine bay already gets into the 180* range. (from what people I know have tested see) Even with a huge radiator, the fan is still pulling large amounts of air over a HOT radiator, which means that heat is sent directly into the engine bay.

Could you perhaps more easily make some shields for whatever components you want to keep dry?

Really not much point on speculating whether it will be a problem or not, since you've already made something, try it out and see. Honestly though, underhood temp needs to be measured before and after. Approx. every 11* increase in engine temp is 1% decrease in engine power output, so it wouldn't take a whole lot of underhood temp to decrease performance by a fair amount.

People that have gone from open element cleaners to "cold air" induction see something like a 60* decrease in engine inlet air temperature.

5. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

I see a lot of guys running an old mud flap that they bolt to the front and let it fold under the vehicle, keeps a lot of mud out but not all. And its easy to take off if ya don't want it there permanently. But with that radiator, if you enclosed it all, there shouldn't be a problem, maybe rig up a snorkel or some kind of way to get cold air down the intake.