Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anti Wrap Bar and what it takes to make it for $850

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 45acp, Jan 29, 2003.

1. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the support guys. If I have learned nothing else in my many years of life it is the need for friends and the best friends are the ones that stay with you when you need something. ColoradoK5 friends are the best kind.

Rene and I put our heads together and worked out this design for our own trucks without consideration to what it would cost. We just wanted it to work and work well. With that said let me tell how its made and then you will understand.

The two plates that bolt to the rearend and the pinion are 1" steel. They have a .50" steel bar mounted in them that the roller turns on. The steel tube roller that is welded to the end of the long tubes has a UHMW bushing that is machined from solid stock (no cheap poly bushings) and this is the same material that is between your spring leaves and takes so much punishment. These rollers allow the vertical movement of the axle. The long tubes are 1.50" x .375 wall DOM tube and the lower tube is positioned beside and just below the drive shaft to protect it from rocks. The other end of both upper and lower tubes are threaded with a 1" thread 3.50" deep into the tube. This was single point threaded in a CNC lathe to asure straight precise threads that would not bind and provide enough adjustment that it could be fine tuned after installation. The eye bolts (not cheap heim joints) are made from 1.625" 13-8PH stainless steel and heat treated. They also were threaded in a CNC lathe to asure precision fitting to the bars. These threads are what allows the articulation of the axle. These eye bolts attach to the shackle with .750 diameter grade 8 bolts, the shackles are .750 thick steel, the pivot tube at the cross member is DOM tube and again it is lined with UHMW bushing to take the beating that I know it will get. The cross bar is the same 1.50 x .375 DOM tube used else where. All together the material alone costs about $300 and the rest is labor. Below are the parts that make the entire unit. Untill we make more than 10 units at a time we loose money on each unit we sell.
    [​IMG]

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I find it unfortunate that you feel you have to defend your priceing because of some rift-raff.

I have done some MINOR fab work, and costsmove exponentiall at times.

great product. glad it is offerd. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I have to say that your anti-wrap bar is a work of art. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just wish you made one for us guys not running 14 bolt FF's.

4. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is some sexy lookin metal! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just out of curiosity, whats the shipping weight on all that. I read that some of it was one inch steel and just about wet myself. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Zack, When I shipped it up to Rene in BC it went in two packages with a set of dick brake plates as well. all together the stuff was about 90 lbs.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    dick brake plates

[/ QUOTE ]

Dick brakes...painful! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Just wanted to thank you for such a great product Bill! I'd have to guess the anti-wrap bar is about 75 lbs by itself.

I want to add the install was quite easy for an untested proto-type which is another testament to the quality of work Bill churns out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, Rene, I didn't realize you were into that sort of thing. Just FWIW, I think that is a little *too* much information to be giving out about yourself on the list... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I agree with the others, you should not have to defend your work like that. I think it is obvious to anyone with a clue that your price was not out of line. Those who think otherwise are too conditioned to Chinese/Mexican import crap built with practically free labor and low grade (marginal at best) material, engineering (as if) and construction.

In any case, I'm glad that you posted the specs just for my own education. Wow! I wish I had 1/10th the skill you have. You should post that information on your site along with the pics too...

9. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You should post that information on your site along with the pics too...

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right I should, thanks for the idea, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I have a knack for missing the obvious /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Guys, if had put a cost on the labor I have put into my truck charging myself what I get paid at work... I was trying to figure out how you were making money on these w/ $300 in material costs. Then you let us in on the secret /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif For those that don't know $50/hr is a good price for machine work, unfortunatly the guy running the machine doesn't get paid that much.

11. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Bill,

I also think it is unfortunate that you have to defend the price you are charging to a few jackasses that have no concept of what it takes build anything. I suspect that no matter what price you charged there would be those that would say "the price is to high."

I know Rene, and had a conversation about your anti-wrap bars. Rene is a machinist and knows what he is talking about, and when he raved about the quality and work you put into them, he made a believer out of me.

Keep up the good work, there are a lot of people that appreciate quality workmanship! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

My next door nieghbor is a machinest for a company that makes the intrument panels for boeing jets and I showed him the anti-wrap bars and this post put did not tell him the price and he guesstimated 1,500$ to make money on selling them. Then of course I asked if he would copy it for me and he said if he had a spare month or so maybe. I had the wife buy some powerball tickets yesterday because I have to have this set up so I can watch my fellow wheelers here in kansas drool. Keep up the good work I hope to finish my install of your hose kit today. Ryan

13. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Bravo, Bravo...
    Like you, I have tryed to xplane what it takes to make parts up for my truck. When you build it for yourself cost is not really an issue as the labor is free. But when someone asks you to build them one...lets see, how many hours did I really have building that thing?...and how many designs did you go through before you got it right. So for us who can build things and know what it takes, you need not defend your product...hey I can't afford a Porsche, and how can you bag on a car like that.