Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anti wrap bar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Oct 24, 2006.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Would it be pointless to put one on a daily driver?

I have managed to bend springs on every rig I have owned. I'm thinking of running single exhaust on my burb in order to make room for an anti wrap bar to save my 56's. I think with the flip and shackles I would get alot of wrap and with having a 465, clutch drops will happen.

I think I just answered my own question,LOL

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Yup.

As I've stated in other threads on the topic, I don't think tha A-bar is the way to go. A well thot out double jointed single link will work better. Will take a little more effort to find the right place the chassis pivot point, but overall it'd be less total fab work.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

how is that gonna avoid the wrap?

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The top of the hsg wants to rotate towards the rear when axle wrap occurs going fwds. With that single link on top it stops that rotation tendency. Such a system puts the main leafs under a compressive load, but so does the A-bar design so there's no gain there.
    To load the main leaves in tension would require a link or links that attached to the bottom of the hsg. That wouldn't happen on anything I own.
    One of the EB parts places (Wild Horses) sells such a system designed specifically for EB's. They call it the "Wrap Trap."

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

is there a shackle or anyway to allow for front to rear movement?

6. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

I would do something like I have. It doesn't bind up because of all the bushings and the shackle at the end. The shackle lets it twist and move back or forward. I also like having it on the passenger side. It counter acts the twisting forces of the motor. The motor is trying to pull the tires closer to the body and the traction bar is trying to push the tires farther away from the body. So it likes to stay level under load. When I power brake it now the truck will actually spin both tires instead of just the passenger one.

Click on the link and click the video on the right to see the traction bar working. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=62113522

I built it out of 2"x2"x1/4" tubing and used Offroad design greasable bushing assemblies with 9/16" bolts. It will wear out the axle bushings eventually with all the load, but mine lasted 1.5 years before I changed them and thats with the extra forces of the portals too.

Here is a link to the bushing assemblies. http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/bushingassemblies.htm
    I waterjetted my brackets, but ORD has them also.

1 (9) (Medium).JPG