Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anti wrap spring pads?????/

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ben427, Jun 6, 2004.

1. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Havent found anything on search, but i was wondering if anyone has made spring pads to control axle wrap. Im getting ready to swap an built 454 and nine inch rear in my 1988 2wd pickup. Seeing as how i need to make new perches anyways, what if i were to extend the front of the pads out 6-8 inches infront of the axle, kinda like slapper bars, would it make any difference???

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

To hell with it, ill try it and let Y'all know if it helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I would suggest building a traction bar, simple mod and will help quite a bit.

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Ill probably end up with ladder bars if its to bad anyways /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what's the difference between ladder bars and anti-wrap bars? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

well not to much. ladder bars are basically two suspension links that keep the axle from rotating. dont allow as much articulation as any off the offroad anti wrap bars, but work good for street vehicles.

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Jeep guys build 6-7" long perches to try to keep their springs from fatiguing after the go SOA. I've seen shocks that mount between the front spring hanger and the main leaf half way between the spring plate and the rear spring hanger on some older Dodge pickups. I suspect it was there to keep axle wrap at bay.

8. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if the extended perch would conact the overload, as they usually get thinner towrd the end. The overload doesn't wrap anyway, the rest of the pack does. I'm not sure it would help very much. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif