Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antifreeze in Oil

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DonJuanNM, Jan 16, 2005.

1. DonJuanNM

DonJuanNM Newbie

Hello, I'm new to the CK5 and I already need some help! My 1990 Blazer starting smoking really bad last week, the smoke smells like Antifreeze!!! When I drained the oil, Antifreeze was present in the oil! I was told that I need to replace the head gaskets! I'm not a gearhead in the least so I I'm looking for a reliable shop or someone with the knowledge and spare time here in Colorado Springs that I can take my Blazer to. Please Help
    Don

[​IMG]

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Knowing CK5 members one might just offer to help you. It's really not that hard, if you have basic tools, I would buy a haynes manual and see if you think it is too advanced for you. I have changed the heads twice on my K5. First time my dad showed me, second time I just did it. Good luck! This might be a good time to upgrade your heads and intake if you are interested while you have it all out:)

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I believe book time is 8 hrs to do head gasgets.

8 hrs X shop rate which can be anywhere from $45 to $60 an hr
    Parts.. a head gasget kit is generaly $50 or so to anyone walking into the local parts house.
    At a shop the mark up will be at least 100% on parts.
    Most will not let ya bring in yer own parts, if they do they generaly won't warranty anything other than a repair issue.

I consider a head gasget job as a no brainer, but if ya are not familiar with a rig I would not start with that as an introduction if ya are going to try to do it on yer own.

If ya have to take it to a shop and ya know it is at least a head gasget find out what the labor rate is and how many hrs they are charging to do it,
    There is a Standard Repair Time for all jobs, I don't have an SRT manual in front of me but I seem to remember 8 hrs for head gasgets.
    Get an estimate before they even start to tear into it and set a $$ amount.
    My advise would be to get an estimate as to the cost and if if goes over that amount that you have to verify and ok any other repairs.
    Make certain ya sign that lil estimate box before any repairs are made and that all other repairs are are signed for after that.
    Good customers I will take a phone call ok to do a repair, we have alot of cutomers that we will not do any repairs on unless it is with a signature.
    Good for us as they cannot say in court that we did repairs that they had not authorized.
    Pay up sucker.

Worst case scenario and the head is cracked... most shops will let ya source another head and ya can bring one in cheaper than what they can get.
    The down side... if the head ya replace it with is cracked it is not the shops fault and they will not stand behind it. ya get to pay labor again and parts to take it back apart.
    Ya get a tail light warranty with it.
    Let them sorce it out and it is on them if it fails under warranty.

Call around and get some quotes.
    Post em up and someone here will tell ya if the shop is trying to screw ya.
    Good luck and welcome to CK5

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

the amount you get charged for a head gasket job is insane. I would buy a manual and do it myself if i was u.

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

It could just be intake manifold gaskets. Do a compression check.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

how long for anti in oil

if the antifreeze is in the oil to long it will wipe out the bearings in the motor. just make sure the oil pressure is good first . dont want you to wast your time for nothing.:frown1:

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I have the same problem but in a brand new 355. We swapped the edelbrock carb manifold for a holley efi manifold and never rtv it or changed the intake gaskets.....

Before you take the manfold or heads off get some k and w block seal for ten bucks at an auto parts store. Might be all you have to do. Im about to run it through my system right now. It will fix minor blown head gaskets and seal up any water leaks in the manifold to head seal.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I did mine in the truck. The next time, I will just pull the motor. Lots of things can creep up on you while doing this. That 8 hours is for someone with all the tools and available help. Don't be afraid of doing it yourself....

Check the intake and doo the compression check first, as mentioned earlier....

9. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm doing mine this weekend(blown head gasket):D . After I get the garage set up down here I could give you a hand. If you dont need it done immediatly:thumb:

10. DonJuanNM

DonJuanNM Newbie

ThanX for the offer

My friend and I started taking apart the engine last night. It took 4 hours and can finally see the Intake manifold. Tonight I have to rent a Pulley puller to remove the PS pulley. ThanX for the offer to help, but hopefully this weekend we should be reassembling the engine. Good luck with yours!