Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antifreeze leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Frogg89, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Frogg89

Frogg89 Registered Member

I noticed that after quite a while that my antifreeze level is dropping so I put a pressure tester on it and it slowly but surely says I have a leak. I looked everywhere, even snugged up a few places and I couldnt find it. Then, I saw some antifreeze on the bottom of my starter so I looked up top and the hose going into the back of my engine isnt leaking a drop!!! Has anyone else had this problem before? I cant find this damn leak!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Freeze plug possibly? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Is it dripping out of the exhaust above the starter? If it is could be head gasket..if you're lucky

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it dripping out of the exhaust above the starter? If it is could be head gasket..if you're lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

Only an Air Force SSgt would think he'd be lucky if it was a head gasket leak!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Frogg89

I dont think its coming out of the exhaust. The head gaskets were replaced about 2 years ago!! The freeze plug could be though!! Its so slight that it doesnt even show up under the truck!! Not a drop on the ground.

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Only an Air Force SSgt would think he'd be lucky if it was a head gasket leak!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a few bolts here and there /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have the exact same leak on my 84. It's coming from one of the freeze plugs on the back of the block in front of the tranny........ /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

There's a chance your leak could be coming from the frost plug right behind the starter. You'll have to drop the starter and check it out- for your sake I hope that's what's leaking. To get to the frost plugs on the back of the block you have to drop the tranny.

8. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Check the easy stuff first, like all the heater hose connections.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Frogg89

Hey, I just wanted to unfortunately let you guys know that it is the head gasket!!! It must have gotten a little worse and I was able to see where the leak was coming from!!!