Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antifreeze on my floormat

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HarryL, Apr 14, 2001.

1. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Ayup. Went out this morning to look at the Blazer and opened the pax door. There for my viewing pleasure was about a cupful of limegreen antifreeze on the rubber floomat. Hmmmm.

I reckon that it's probably coming out of the heatercore. This truck has AC. How much of a PITA is this going to be to repair?

Any advice and directions to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

HarryL

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Every thing you really didn't want to know right here on this www. site. LOL
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://coloradok5.com/heatercore.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/heatercore.shtml</A>

3. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

GoK,

This looks like it's going to be a blast. I can't wait to get started. Hmmm.

Harry

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Good luck. Those heater cores are a M(^&^% F(%&() pain in the A$$ to work with especially on the air conditioned equipped vehicles. If you had the standard heater, no a/c, then thats a piece of cake to swap. Again, good luck. Plan on a day or two to get it swapped.

5. gokartergo

My brother is a mech. He just had to do one on a SAAB. He said he had to pull out the entire dash to get to it. It almost took him all day. And at $85.00 a hour that is going to cost that guy some money.. Good luck......LOL

[​IMG]

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

WOW!!! 85.00 an hour?!?!?! Thats some pretty high priced mechanics, you think? Where does your brother work at? Think he can get me a job there too? He's probably making half that rate for his hourly pay!!!!!

7. gokartergo

He works in Morgan Hill CA. He gets paid $26.00 an hour plus bonuses. So he is over $ 30.00 a hour I believe.

8. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

They say that the first part to go down the auto assembly line is the heater core… then all of the other pieces of the car are bolted together around it. [​IMG]

9. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Harry, I feel for you, but changing the heater core on a Blazer isn't quite as bad as doing the job on a GM F-body. It's kind of like the SAAB job that gokarergo's brother just did, only the fender comes off along with the dash...

10. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Steve,

you mean the wheel well. I did mine last year, w A/C. It makes it a cake when taking out the wheel well. if you can take out the passanger side hood hinge even better. In the inside take out the glove box, and some of the A/C and heater tubes.

ARQ.

11. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Dennis, my car's body has been lowered around the subframe, so the inner fender won't come out with the fender in position. I left them bolted together, removed the hood, and the nremoved the fender...