Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antifreeze question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79ChevySB, Dec 20, 2001.

1. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 92 Blazer fullsize. I know, I know, IFS, but this thing was like brand new. It only has 71,000 miles on it and I dont think the antifreeze has been changed. It has a freezing point of -34 degrees, do any of you know of what I should test/look for? Or should I just change it to be safe?

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Probably wouldn't hurt to change that coolant...If it sits in there too long, you start getting mineral deposits...Personally, I'd go buy some Prestone DexCool approved coolant and then get some of that Prestone SuperFlush and clean the badboy out..and back flushing can't hurt ya either...Also, might as well change your hoses while you are at it...I know it sounds like a lot of stuff to do, but at least you'll have the peace of mind tyhat you engine will run COOL inthe summer and not freeze in the winter... As long as there are no leaks in the rad., i really se no reason to pressure test it..but you could always do that as well

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

3. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Changing the antifreeze is cheap insurance, and a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing or re-coring your radiator.

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Anti Freeze should be changed every 2-5 years. The reason is the chemicals that are in it to protect the metal disipate and you start developing corrosion. Back flushing with a garden hose is fine but pull the drain plugs off the bottom of the block ( center of the block sides just above the oil pan will be a bolt on each side to drain the block, be sure to put a thread sealent on when they are reinstalled) and get as much of the tap water out as you can. When you fill it use DISTILLED MINERAL FREE water. Local grocer will have it. less than a buck a gallon. You will need 2.
    Tap water has minerals, floride and a bunch of other chemicals in to the prevent it from getting nasty. Unfortunatly some of those chemicals don't react well to aluminum or the chemicals in the antifreez.
    Another thing that is supose to be changed every couple of years or so is brake fluid. The brake fluid will absorb moisture. This will lower the boiling point and also cause corrosion in the lines. When you go to a good place to have your brakes serviced it usualy includes bleeding the brakes so more than likly it has been done since the truck was new but plan on bleeding the next time you service them.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper