Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antilock Brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pr1aw, Feb 24, 2001.

1. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

Has anybody converted their Blazer from antilock brakes (rear) to regular brakes? Here's my problem, in 2wd the back brakes won't work, but in 4wd they do. Got scared backing down a hill and the front locked up and the rears were still spinning. This is on a 91 Silverado. I checked the prices and for the control module and the hydraulic unit it's about $200.

2. River

River 1/2 ton status

The RAWL is not working in 4WD (thats the way is shoukd be) so thats why you can lock them when you are in 4WD.

In 2WD the RAWL is working now you can`t lock the brakes until you are at still stand. That`s the way Rear Anti Wheel Lock is supposed to work.

hope this helps you a bid.

greetinng from Amsterdam,

River `90 K5, 350, TH700R4, NP241, "32, 3.08, 10 bolt F, 10 Bolt R(GOV-Lock)

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Everything Hill said and ... your front brakes have a heavier bias (more weight up front + more weight transfer). So when you go backwards (especially down a hill) the fronts lock up.

The whole idea behind anti-lock is NOT to lock-up a wheel. This is fine on pavement but on dirt this can result in abnormally long stops. On dirt a locked wheel will actually push a small mound of dirt in front of the wheel, slow the vehicle down. Anti-Lock prevents that and the wheel continues to roll over the top of the loose surface.

Understand how it works, what it's supposed to do. Locked, skidding tires do not stop quicker on pavement. If you do a LOT of dirt road driving (at speed) maybe you need to wire up a disconnect to the RWAL until you hit pavement.

4. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

The problem was, when I was backing down a hill with pavement, I skidded with the front for about 20 feet and the rears did absolutely nothing, no inkling of even trying to stop. It finally leveled out some and the fronts did the work of stopping it.

5. littonk5

littonk5 Registered Member

If you are truely having problems with the anti-lock brakes, I suggest you contact a dealer and see if there is a recall/extended warrentee on them..my jeep(91) still had an exted waurenttee in place at 140,000 miles because of the safety issue.

good luck

6. Josh

Josh Registered Member

On my '91 Caprice if the sensor was disconnected and the speed was up over about 5 mph the anti-lock computer shut down and stayed that way until the car was re-started. Try just un-hooking a sensor, any will do.