Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Antiwrap bar pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82dieselburb, May 19, 2005.

1. 82dieselburb

82dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I got my antiwrap bar done this week.It's made it out of 1.5 x.250 DOM that I turned down .15 on the end to sleeve into a 2" piece of DOM.The sleeve is about 15" long with 2 grease fittings.It should alow the bar to twist from side to side during flexing.I got the axle truss from Bluetorch.
    I'm not going to finish mounting the cross member brace untill I get my HAD 1410 drive shafts in to make sure there aren't any clearance issues.By the way those are 63" springs and the axle is moved back about 6"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are more pics in my webshots

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Lookin good. Do you have plans for triangulation or some sort of bracing between the tubes coming off the axle truss?

3. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

looks good... you have 5150s?

4. 82dieselburb

Thanks,I plan an making a v support between both bars.I'm going to wait until I get everything hooked up to make sure I don't have to make any adjustments.
    Yes those are 5150's mounted outboard through the floor.
    Here's a pic of the shock mount

[​IMG]

5. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

i love the look of them, but how do you like the way they ride? (5150s)

6. 82dieselburb

I'm not sure how they ride.I havn't used them yet,but have only heard good things about the 5150's

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't understand how these things work, somebody please explain it to me. If both tubes are attatched to the rear axle, and the other end is attached to the frame, what happens when the axle goes up, like in a landing from a jump? Or hitting a big bump? If the axle moves straight up it will make the bars move staight up, but what about the piece that connects to the frame? How does it move up like the axle does? :confused: :confused: :confused:

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

suspensions don't travel straight up and down. They travel in more of an arc. The joint at the frame end follows that arc on uptravel. Same with downtravel. You see that tis not hard mounted right? All the bar is there to do is follow the axle and make sure it can't twist. The problem with antiwrap is when the entire axle housing twists around its own centerline(and thus twists the springs causing "wrap"). This stops it from twisting like that, thus preventing axle wrap.

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The ones that I have seen have a shackle on the end on the frame side. Without a shackle, I think you would have to make the bar pivit on the same plane as the forward section of the leaves to get leafe movement that is not restricted. The leaves themselves also flaten out and change length hence the shackle in the rear (on the leaves).

I this setup would do the job but without a shackle it would restrict the travel in some fashion unless I'm looking at it wrong. I think this setup would work great on a linked suspension (this would just be one of the links or a combination of two links) where the axles does travel in an exact arc dictated by the links.

Or am I off base?

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you are quite right, I completely missed that it didn't have a shackle. I was even sitting in class this morning thinking about how to fab an antiwrap and thought about having to mount it in the same plane as the leaf spring mounts(same pivout point). Still didn't dawn on me that he doesn't have a shackle setup.

I'm guessing that the arm pivots AND slides inside of the sleeve??

11. Sandman

I guess if it slide in the sleeve, the pinion could still rotate, right?

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No, since its nearly hard mounted at the axle the whole arm would have to travel in its own arc. The sleeve and mount prevent that, thus the antiwrap effect.

13. Sandman

Oh, you are right, just had to visualize it. So, stick on a grease zerk and go for it!

I wonder if the sliding setup or the shackle setup would be better?

14. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

another advantage to the sleeve is that it can rotate inside its outer tube allowing more articulation. the shackle is only designed to move in one plane. to combat this, some people have put heim joints at the shackle to give them back some of the rotation.

do you want the forward pivot point where the leaf springs pivot or the driveshaft? assuming its a fixed yoke, i would think that you want the forward pivot where the ujoint is. if its a slip yoke, i would think you want it at the spring pivot. or do you pick some place in the middle?

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Looks like he's ahead of you on that one

[​IMG]

Note the zerk fitting in the sliding sleeve.

16. Sandman

Nice. I missed that from the beginning. Thats two threada in a row that I have muddied the waters on. I think I will copy that design for my setup.

I will retreat.

17. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Are you going to reinforce the crossmember, maybe something like how they C notch a frame on lowered trucks?

18. 82dieselburb

No I don't think the crossmember will need to be reinforced.The antiwrap crossmember will be mounted close enough to help reinforce the frame.

19. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

At least clean it up. It has stress risers all over it now.